Join now - be part of our community!

freezing laptop

freezing laptop

hi i have had a number of problems with my vaio lap top,

after switching on the computer it freezes and crashes when on the internet.

i have done a full scan on mcavee and found nothing.

the crash can happen after a minute or a hour.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mathew,

Some further information would be helpful:

Model name.
Operating system.
Browser being used.

Rich.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Hi thanks for the message.
The computer freezes on both internet and even when I'm not on net.
Sometimes it's fine for up to a hour then sometimes it freezes after 3 minutes. I have to switch the lap top off and on as nothing responds.
I do a lot of online banking and can't afford for it to crash when I'm online. I have done a full scan but have found nothing.
I recently bought a ee wireless dongle but this works fine on my tablet and phones so don't think it's that.
Best regards

Mathew Thomason

--------edited by Fran_M, personal details.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mathew,

If this freezing only happened when using a browser, in particular Firefox or Chrome, I would have suspected hardware acceleration to be the culprit. However if this happens randomly using any software I would suspect a hardware problem, possibly the graphics chip (or soldering thereof).
Have you tried running in Safe Mode for a while to see whether it still freezes? If it doesn't freeze then the problem is possibly narrowed down to hardware (it will be using standard VGA graphics mode) or, less likely, a driver loaded at normal startup. The latter could be checked by trying a selective startup, beginning with just one startup item and then adding to the list. This will of course be an extremely time consuming process given the random nature of the problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat