Join now - be part of our community!

eSata Port Multiplier Sony Vaio Fe31z

profile.country.en_GB.title
Iwaaan
Visitor

eSata Port Multiplier Sony Vaio Fe31z

Hi, I want to purchase a RAID tower but before I do I need to know if the eSata port controller on my Sony Vaio Fe31Z support port multiplying.

Does anybody know if it does or can anyone suggest how I can check?

Thanks, Iwan.

6 REPLIES 6
tidaltides
Visitor

I was thinking of adding RAID system to my unit, but I don't think Vaio has it already.

Iwaaan
Visitor

Hi, it doesn't matter if vaio hasn't got RAID support, the unit i'm thinking of buying has the RAID management on it's end, I just need to know if the eSata controller on my vaio supports port multiplying.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Iwaaan,

I very much doubt that any Vaio (indeed most computers) go beyond the single SATA device per port.

To achieve multiple connections you will probably need a Port Multiplier. This can be achieved using an eSATA ExpressCard Adapter. For example:

Sonnet Tempo SATA Express 34 Storage controller- eSATA-300- 300 MBps

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Iwaaan
Visitor

Hi, thanks for the reply! Oh well i guess it sucks that my vaio doesn't support port multiplying itself, but luckily im not using y express card slot for anything so thanks.

I'm looking to connect 4 drives in RAID 5, will that card you suggested support it you think?

Thanks again, Iwan.

Iwaaan
Visitor

http://www.span.com/product_info.php?products_id=32406&source=gbaseuk&currency=GBP

Am i right in saying that 1x 5x eSATA means it will support up to 5 drives? Or is this just a speed reference?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Iwan,

The card you have referenced is a flush fit and has only one external port, so yes this will support up to 5 drives via one port.

The card in the link I provided has 2 external ports hence 2x5 – up to 10 drives.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat