Join now - be part of our community!

DVD doesnt want to write dvd-/+Rs anymore

lexy_lex88
Visitor

DVD doesnt want to write dvd-/+Rs anymore

basically about 4 months ago my vaio decided it didnt want to work with writing dvds. In nero it says key hardware error and illegal disc error... yet im not making illegal discs... im just backing up old files to clear up space! i have gotten help elsewhere and they suggested it was the poor media i was using... i changed that and nothing... even though the media is verbaitims top notch stuff... funily enough with my tdk-rw its fine with it! i just dont understand...

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi lexy_lex88 and welcome to Club Vaio.

It is always difficult to find the cause when it works for some discs and not others.

All you can do is to check you are using the latest firmware for your drive, give the lens in the drive a good clean and check that your burning software is not the cause.

You could try reinstalling Nero. Do you have any other DVD burning software to try?

What model Vaio do you have and what drive do you have?

:thinking:

lexy_lex88
Visitor

i know! its really confusing. i have a vaio VGN-FS315E and i have firmware version 1.4... its really wierd cos the new media i have is verbatim which is really high quality. Yet nothing... no difference whatsoever. with the tdk which were only 4x (verbatim 16x) they work 100%. i bought it little less than a year ago so should i talk to sony about it?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The latest version of the Sony software for your drive appears to be Version 1.03 at Vaio-Link. Have you updated the other available downloads like Click to DVD?

It is possible that your drive will only burn at 4X - have you tried the Verbatum discs but limiting the burn speed to 4X? This may give more reliability. The maximum burn speed for DVD-R is given as 8X in the specifications of your model - I doubt it can cope with 16X.

It may be worth opening a case with Vaio-Link while your Vaio is still within the 12 month warranty period.

:wink: