Join now - be part of our community!

Does DTS passthough work on the VGX-XL in Vista?

ITTroll
Visitor

Does DTS passthough work on the VGX-XL in Vista?

I am using Sigmatel Audio Driver 6.10.0.5290 with the XL201 connected to a Sony HT-SS1100 via optical. Dolby Digital 5.1 is working fine but when I try DTS I get no sound at all. Even when I click test in the audio properties I get nothing with DTS. I know Vista doesn't decode DTS natively but surely it should allow passthrough?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
deburki
New

Hi I have the same issue with my 302; sony are presently investgating/ Please see my post elsewhere in this forum -sorry not to be of help but will let you know what Sony engineers say

ITTroll
Visitor

Thanks for your post. I did search the forums for other DTS and SPDIF posts but nothing came up - but then the search doesn't seem to be that great.

I found a new Sigmatel driver from Sony 6.10.5379.0 and gave it a try (even though it wasn't specifically for the VGX-XL). This didn't fix the problem and also removed some options from the configuration panel. I have therefore reverted to 6.10.0.5290.

I have found this article from Microsoft which seems to say that DTS passthrough doesn't work in Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940685

I have edited the title of this thread as it sounds like this issue affects all models in the VGX-XL series.

ITTroll
Visitor

OK I have now got DTS working on my XL201. What seemed to be key in achieving this was ensuring that "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" was checked on the Advanced tab of the SPDIF output device. I had disabled this on the recommendation of a setup guide for ffdshow. However it would seem that this setting is required to allow Media Center to pass DTS through SPDIF. I have also ticked both DTS and Dolby Digital on the Supported Formats tab as per the Microsoft KB.

What is strange is that the Test button in the audio properties still does not produce any sound but Media Center does now passthrough DTS.