Join now - be part of our community!

Compatibility Problem with Extended Capacity Battery for VGN-N38E/W Notebook

Llama0wn3d
Visitor

Compatibility Problem with Extended Capacity Battery for VGN-N38E/W Notebook

Hi All,

I recently purchased an extended capacity battery for my N Series notebook from Amazon: however when I booted up after swapping the battery over Windows displayed an error message telling me that the battery was either not inserted correctly OR was not compatible with my notebook.

I have tried shutting down and reinserting the battery several times, so i'm reasonably sure its inserted correctly.

Furthermore, the amazon page assured me the battery would be compatible with my laptop:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Parts-Extended-Capacity-VGN-N38E/dp/B001F9UMLM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=el...

I still have the original battery, and AC lead, so at the moment it looks like it will just be a pain to get a refund, but is there anything i can do to rectify this?

Cheers in Advance :slight_smile:

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Llama0wn3d and welcome.

The only solution that has worked in the past is disabling ISBMgr.exe. This detects that it is a non Sony battery.

However you should read this first:

http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=35164

If you really want to try this then open msconfig and on the Startup tab untick ISB Utility.

If that has no effect then you have possibly been supplied with a faulty battery.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
VAIOaDIOS
Visitor

Hi Llama0wn3d and welcome.

The only solution that has worked in the past is disabling ISBMgr.exe. This detects that it is a non Sony battery.

However you should read this first:
http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=35164
If you really want to try this then open msconfig and on the Startup tab untick ISB Utility.
If that has no effect then you have possibly been supplied with a faulty battery.

Companies do their best these days to say their goods are better and worth payng 3 times!

Certainly there are unscrupolous Companies out there, mainly what you should do is check the maker of the battery you are buying and see if they have EU specifications - they must be safe then!

If they are not, they will be closed down and SONY should be a bit more 'fair' and not scare customners and criminalize every other Company that is not called SONY!

SONY, why don't yoy add a list of 'good in your view' manufacturers of 'compatible batteries?
Maybe is because SONY does not use the same manufatcurer in China? Not Japan.

stephenfish
Visitor

I agree I have spent hours looking online and there are literally hundreds of batteries which claim to be ok, however some of the websites look rather dodgy, I would pay more for a genuine Sony part- however they don't seem to sell them anymore, why not select an approved supplier when deciding to discontinue a product line? Surely they don't expect me to throw away a great product (my vaio) just because the battery doesn't hold enough charge to boot up!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi stephenfish,

welcome to Club VAIO..

If you're unable to source a battery on the Sony Style site you may be able to purchase one vai Sony Vaio support, to find the contact details for Sony Vaio support..

Open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 2: Select your VAIO model, next to Select Model Category - Select your model from the drop down list.

Then next to Select Model

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch..

stephenfish
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

been there and tried that unfortunately you have to log in with serial number to use the get in touch feature. I have found before that my serial number is not recognised by the system (despite the fact that it was purchased in the UK from Tesco) I had great dificu;lty registering when I bought it.
Thanks anyway I will try to email sony, but if not amazon have a replacement (although it is black not silver) which seems to have all the european safety markings.

Thanks anyway
Steve

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Steve,

does this help?

Phone Within guarantee period 0870 240 2408

Outside guarantee period 0905 0310006 (0.35£/min)

I've also sent you a private message, use the following link to View your messages: Private Messages

stephenfish
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus,

I've sent you a private message in reply with the details.
I'll try the numbers you sugest when I have access to a landline again.

cheers
Steve.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome Steve.. :slight_smile: