Join now - be part of our community!

CD-RW problem with fr285

tazg101
Visitor

CD-RW problem with fr285

with the cd writer, when i burn an audio cd and go to play it nothing recognises the cd (laptop, hi-fi system etc). but if i open the cd with windows explorer all the tracks have been copied over.

this also happens when i burn a vcd, after the cd is burned the writer will make a semi-loud grinding noise but the vcd will still play in my dvd player.

am not a heavy user of the writer (i use it say 10 times a week at max) and have owned the laptop since september.

i have been using the same media for months, and have tried buring the same songs with another computer and it works.

has anyone any suggestions what this may be or know where i stand in terms of the warranty. thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

with the cd writer, when i burn an audio cd and go to play it nothing recognises the cd (laptop, hi-fi system etc). but if i open the cd with windows explorer all the tracks have been copied over. 

Are they in .cda format?

tazg101
Visitor

yeah, they in cda

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That's strange
Did you close the CD?
If not some HIFIs won't play them.

tazg101
Visitor

yeah, finalize CD is ticked when i burn them

m3bhp
Visitor

I've had a similar problem with my FR285M. If your using Nero have you installed the updates from their website? I found that cured it.

tazg101
Visitor

am running 6 3 0 3. what u running?

m3bhp
Visitor

I'm running version 5.5.10.50, basically 5.5 with update. No problems now, although I know another FR285 user experienced problems with V6 until he updated.

tazg101
Visitor

i've tried buring a audio cd with winamp and also media player and still same problemtho

m3bhp
Visitor

I believe there is a Firmware update for the drive, have you installed that?