Join now - be part of our community!

Can't re-install Windows 7

profile.country.en_GB.title
sakenne55
Visitor

Can't re-install Windows 7

I've had my Vaio Laptop (VGN-FW56E) for nearly 3 years now and yesterday suddenly became very very slow to do anything and then the next morning it would not progress past the 'Welcome' screen. I tried safe mode in which it booted to my desktop but try to do anything and explorer just crashed. I couldn't get into Windows normally, I couldn't do anything in safe mode like defrag or uninstall un-needed programs and more to the point I could not use any of the recovery tools! My only option was to completely wipe it and reinstall windows but it did not come with any windows or recovery dvd as all that was meant to be part of the recovery options on the Vaio.... that I could not access/use! So I formatted using my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 retail DVD I used on my Desktop and installed that as the install includes all versions of Windows 7, which one is installed depends on the Key used. So I used the Win 7 Home Premium 64 Key from the laptop however that comes back with 'Product Key does not match current Windows SKU'

This is where I am now, my Vaio is just a very expensive paperweight right now. How do I get Windows back on it?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi sakenne55,

Although there would have been no recovery media supplied with the machine you had the oppertunity to create recovery disks and should have been prompted to do just that.

Depending on whether you have completely formatted the hard drive and thus wiped the recovery partition you may still have the ability to access the recovery utility by pressing and holding F10 at boot. If this does load then following the instructions will return your machine to as delivered with Windows 7 Professional.

If the recovery partition has been wiped you have the option to purchase a set of recovery medial from Support. Cost is approx £50 and you will have to call the OOW premium rate number to place your order.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
japiper38
Visitor

hi

i may still have my recovery discs if you still need them?

this was a very good laptop. got a vpcf21z1e/bi now and already needs a new hard drive and 3d blu ray player (only played blu rays 3 or 4 times) and it not a year old!

sakenne55
Visitor

Hi rich912, thank you for that info. It has been completely wiped clean, paying for recovery media will be a last resort. I find it quite rediculous that you can't load a normal version of Windows and it has to be Sonys own version that links to the bios to make sure, not only do they screw you over with Graphics Drivers having to be their own approved versions which they don't bother updating which ends up rendering some games useless but the OS as well.

Hi japiper38, Thank you very much for your offer and if you do still have them I would be very greatful. I have PM'd you about it :slight_smile:

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi sakenne55,

Although Sony does try and tie you in to certain drivers there is no such restriction for the installation of a retail copy of Windows, either BIOS related or otherwise.

If other options don't work out you will need to take up the key issue with Microsoft. Presumably you have tried skipping the key entry which should be an option for Windows 7.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat