Join now - be part of our community!

BATTERY DRAIN PROBLEM VAIO SR

oteuan
Visitor

BATTERY DRAIN PROBLEM VAIO SR

Hi, I bought a VAIO SR21MS less than 1 week ago. The fact is that having loaded the laptop to 100%, I switched it off, disconnected from AC and the following day as I turned it on the laptop has suffered a 12% -15% drain of battery life. It is the first time I see something like this, I had a Toshiba laptop and only suffered drainage between 1% and 4%. My girlfriend also has a Toshiba and it does not suffer such a disproportionate drain.
To rule out that it was the battery, I went back to load it again and remove the battery from the computer. The next day, I went back, turned it on connected to power, put the battery in and disconnect from AC, marking 100% the load indicator. I've seen on internet that I am not the only one. As I see, it is some HW issue, has anyone experienced this and has managed to solve it? I installed the BIOS update without success.
I will call spport to see what they say.
Another question, do you know what configuration Sony follows to make measurements of the battery life? Because on their site it is said this laptop gets up to 255 min battery life and I just got 2 hours and a half.
Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi oteuan and welcome.

This is an old problem with some Sony models. You may like to read this thread: -

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/gb/en/forum/viewthread?thread=43230

There have also been very, very long threads on the US website where literally hundreds of users have tried everything you can imagine to find the reason for the mystery drain.

Hopefully, as this has been going on for such a long time, Sony may have found a fix by now .................

............ see those pink pigs flying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

Good Luck

:thinking:

oteuan
Visitor

Hi again and thanks for the quick answer.
Yesterday I spent almost all the day reading about this problem. I also called Sony support, they said it is normal in VAIO laptops, it is how VAIO HW design works, some parts remain in stand by and also something about power consumed by the power button (what piece of c**p). So they had well learnt the problem response.
I cannot believe a brand as Sony could do such a botched job.
I am very annoyed about this, because I really preferred this 13.3 laptop to the other ones I saw.
I was thinking to ask for a replacement, but seems to be a common problem in the SR series (and other series).
Finally, I just read that VAIO does not currently support Virtualization Technology (VT) in other thread (you cannot modify practically the BIOS), and I was going to install Windows 7 today, so Vaio was not a good option.