Join now - be part of our community!

Bad Wireless Card?

skykit84
New

Bad Wireless Card?

Hi all,

Since I got my laptop last month, I've noticed that I can only surf on Wireless Upstairs where the router is.
I use channel 6 but tried 11 too.

The laptop has excellent signal upstairs all over, rooms, bathrooms, even my loft.

But... downstairs is another story. The Windows Network will display as Low or Good signal with 2-3 bars.
The Intel wireless thing will always display full bars and as Excellent signal quality.
Yet when I load a website, 9 times out of 10, it fails. Nothing else connects, MSN, email the lot.

Initially I thought it was because we had the house re-done (my old sony fs series had no issues at all before the renovations,or during but never tried it after).
But this evening, my brother brought down his compaq presario laptop and it worked perfectly. He had similar bars 2-3 and was surfing without any issues at all.
I was sat directly next to him and I couldnt load a single page.

This has been the case from day one and only at times, I manage toload a page up.

Now, the question is... is the wireless card on this SZ2XP
1. crap
2. faulty

I've not checked what card my brother uses ... if its intel, no probs, I can remove his and try it in mine
if its something else, then I might not bother because of the whole driver issue (if its got its own software that is).

Just wondering if anyone else has issues with signal with their SZ series?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

We have had a few posts like yours recently - it does seem to be a problem.

What version Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection Driver are you using? Is it Version : 10.5.1.57?

You have got the card set for Maximum Performance in Power Options?

May be worth contacting Vaio-Link as your problem does not seem to be unique.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Any metalic walls downstairs? I know it sounds crazy but a friend of mine said the councill fitted metal in his walls for some odd reason and his DECT phones didn't work very well.

skykit84
New

Ah

Missed have missed these threads... I did a quick search

I will look more into it... going into work tomorrow so I'll grab a wireless card and as long as its an easy change under the laptop, give it a try