Join now - be part of our community!

AV Mode Won't Work Properly

ringy2
Visitor

AV Mode Won't Work Properly

Just purchased a VGN-TZ21WN/B which is just what I wanted. But I have a problem:
When the machine is off, I press the AV Mode button to play a CD/DVD etc., and all I get is the five icons on the screen for about five sconds, then they disappear. No amount of key pressing changes anything - According to the InstantON manual the left/right arrows should select the media I wish to access, but this does nothing.

The search facility on this forum always returns empty results, so I have had to resort to posting. I hope someone has a solution!

Cheers!

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ringy2 and welcome.

I don't know if it fixes the problem but have you installed the InterVideo InstantON Update 1.0.1 available for download from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-TZ&m=2835

:wink:

ringy2
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo!

Problem is that I've already attempted to install this update. However, I have no way of checkng if it has been applied - the "modify" process was over very quickly, so I suspect that something hasn't worked!?!? The same happened with the VAIO Smart Network Update 1.0.01.05210, but I am still running version 1.0.00.05150 :smileythinking:

Are there permissions that need to be adjusted (but it didn't give and error?)?
Is there any way to see what verson of InstantON I am running?

Looking forward to your reply :slight_smile:

Cheers!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ringy2,

If you go to Vaio Update (type this into the search bar on the start menu) does it say you have updates available to download?

Try clicking on 'recently installed updates' - do either of these two appear in the installed list?

Come back with the answer as this sounds like something I will need to report to Sony as a fault.

:slight_frown:

ringy2
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

OK, I run Vaio Update, and click "Go to Vaio Web Support" where I see that no auto updates are available, only a WWAN update (which incidentally may allow me to use a non T-Mobile SIM in my notebook - see this thread ).

Clicking "Update Now" does nothing, not even the WWAN update gets downloaded to my C:\Updates folder.

The recently installed updtes list just has "BIOS Update (1.04 MB)".

Errmmmm....any use? :worried:

P.S. If it helps, I have restored my PC this week (removal of Office 2007 was a mare), and have partitioned the hard-drive and assigned all my personal documents to the 😧 volume. Just in case thismay have cause an issue...?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'll ask Sony if they have any thoughts!!

ringy2
Visitor

I will be clling Tech Support today as well....

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ringy2,

Sony are looking into this for you. Can you check the following: -

C:\Program Files\Sony\Network Utility\version.txt

What version is shown in that file? It is possible that this has already updated.

Is there a similar file for the Instant On Utility? This update is to fix the symptoms you have of the Instant On screen disappearing after a few seconds. Is there a version.txt file giving the installed version?

Also, Sony would find it useful if you could post a screenshot of the screen with the "already installed updates" on the VAIO Update screen?

Sony Vaio-Link Support have also answered your Vodaphone query: -

For the WWAN query, we can advise him to get in touch with Vodafone. The WWAN module is not locked to a certain provider, but the preinstalled connection manager is. If the customer wishes to use another operator, he can uninstall the T-Mobile software, and he can get in touch with his own operator and request a Vista - and module - compatible connection manager.

:thinking:

ringy2
Visitor

OK....

C:\Program Files\Sony\Network Utility\version.txt: Version 1.0.00.05180

All I could find in the sony folder was this that closely related to AV Mode:
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO AV Mode Launcher\version.txt: Version 1.1.00.04110

Is this right? There's no folder that looks like InstantON....

I have attached the screenshot as requested.

Thanks for the help with the WWAN - Vodafone couldn't/wouldn'thelp, but I found a solution - install the Option WWAN facility from XP and it works a treat :cool:

Looking forward to getting my Vaio fully functioning :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It doesn't look like either of the two Updates have installed correctly.

I have passed the info on to Sony Support.