Join now - be part of our community!

Would you recommend w705b?

SOLVED
xybadog
Explorer

Would you recommend w705b?

I am looking at both a Sony 32W705b and Samsung 32H6400.

I'm not too bothered about 3D (which the Samsung has).  I watch mainly Blu-Ray, Netflix and Lovefilm so need decent HD.

I'm concerned that the Smart service of the Sony may be sluggish in operation and that there are not as many tweak controls for the picture as the Samsung.

Can someone please convince me I need to go for the W705 or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a KDL-42W807a TV (2013 - Smart TV) and the Internet services are fine to be honest.  I have no complaints.  The Smart applications to rely on your internet connection - so maybe thats where you have picked up the idea of the sluggishness??

I have had a good play with a 2014 TV and find that the internet applications are really fast to navigate.  My one only complaint would be that there are loads of them (most you wouldnt use on a regular basis) - I think they are sorted alphabetically on the 2014 (they are not sorted on the 2013 tvs) however with Sony's "One-flick" remote it can/does speed up going through them.

I guess for you, the real test is for yourself.  So my advice actually is to go to your local Sony Store or even John Lewis and have a play for yourself.  They are happy to give you the remote controls to the demo tvs (from my experience) for you to have a go. :slight_smile:

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I don't own a W705b TV, however looking at the reviews - they sound very good.

HDTV give it a "Highly Recommended" rating:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl42w705b-201402233639.htm

TrustedReviews also recommend it with a score of "9/10":

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-kdl-42w705b_TV_review#tr-review-summary

And the folks on Amazon.co.uk generally like it too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00HZAVA70/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Hope that helps;

Cheers

xybadog
Explorer

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have a smart Sony TV?  I understand the smart service is pretty basic and sluggish to navigate on most series Sony's.  Is that correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a KDL-42W807a TV (2013 - Smart TV) and the Internet services are fine to be honest.  I have no complaints.  The Smart applications to rely on your internet connection - so maybe thats where you have picked up the idea of the sluggishness??

I have had a good play with a 2014 TV and find that the internet applications are really fast to navigate.  My one only complaint would be that there are loads of them (most you wouldnt use on a regular basis) - I think they are sorted alphabetically on the 2014 (they are not sorted on the 2013 tvs) however with Sony's "One-flick" remote it can/does speed up going through them.

I guess for you, the real test is for yourself.  So my advice actually is to go to your local Sony Store or even John Lewis and have a play for yourself.  They are happy to give you the remote controls to the demo tvs (from my experience) for you to have a go. :slight_smile:

Cheers

xybadog
Explorer

Thanks for the help and advice.

profile.country.GB.title
timealan
Explorer

I have a KDL-32w705b, in fact my review is on Amazon. the "Excellent, Excellent Picture" one.....

It's brilliant, as far as picture is concerned, both HD and SD.

I like using Miracast, and occasionally the 5 on demand, although I use a Virgin Box for most of that. Netflix works excellently for me.

I suspect that if "on demand" content eg. 4oD, ITV Player etc is the "deal breaker" then the Samsung offers more...but if the quality of the picture is most important the the Sony is better.

NB I have had a single issue with streaming a SEN film which is currently with support, but again I generally use my Virgin box for that anyway....