Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-46EX503 & BDV-E870

SOLVED
koopah
New

KDL-46EX503 & BDV-E870

Hi,

I am getting a communications failure between my Sony TV and the Sony surround sound system. After working for a few days, the surround sound is not automatically turning on/off with the TV and you do not get the "Audio System Active" message on the screen. Instead it says Audio system communication failure.

The sound itself works when this happens but sounds different, the main problem is that the surround sound system will not turn on and off automatically with the TV.

It all works fine for a few days then stops working. If I turn everything off at the wall for a few minutes and then back on, it all works fine but then will do the same again after a few days.

I have a KDL-46EX503 TV and a BDV-E870 surround sound system.

Thinking it may be a fault with the surround sound, I purchased the newer model; the BDV-E4100. That worked fine for a few days and now does the same thing so I assume it's something wrong with the TV.

The TV is connected to the surround sound via HDMI and Optical. I have replaced the HDMI cable but not the optical one.

Any help/advice appreciated. I assume it's not anything to do with the way it is set up as it has been working for a couple of years - however could be a software problem on the TV I suppose...

Thanks,

Dan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Your TV supports HDMI-ARC.  See HERE for more information.  Simply ensure that you have connected the HDMI cable to HDMI1 ARC on the TV and REMOVE that optical cable.

The TV is probably getting confused between the two connections.

Cheerd

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Your TV supports HDMI-ARC.  See HERE for more information.  Simply ensure that you have connected the HDMI cable to HDMI1 ARC on the TV and REMOVE that optical cable.

The TV is probably getting confused between the two connections.

Cheerd

koopah
New

Many thanks for the reply, very much appreciated.

I have removed the optical cable and so far have not had any further problems.

I assume that all HDMI ports on my TV are ARC compatible, I can't seem to find anything that suggests otherwise in the documentation.

Thanks again.

Dan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im glad its worked.  However, only one HDMI port is ARC combatible - same as all TVs.  And for your TV it is HDMI1.

Cheers