Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-32HX753 HDD Recording Problems...

profile.country.en_GB.title
Looten-Duke
Explorer

KDL-32HX753 HDD Recording Problems...

Hi,

I purchased this TV in January this year and the HDD in March, and within the last 2-3 months I have had nothing but problems trying to record to the Hard Drive. The HDD is the "SONY HD-EG5 500GB External Hard Drive" and is compatible with the TV. I don't know if it is a fault with the TV set or a firmware bug, but this is the second HDD replacement and the problem still remains.

Whenever I select a program to record, I "intermittently" get an annoying message saying "Timer event might be aborted as HDD is almost full" with HDD Remaining Size -1% instead of 99%.

And recently the new problem that has developed is that the programs do record, but there is an error saying "Timer recording failed. The main power was off or there was a power failure". As far as I'm aware I can't recall having a power failure at the time as I was watching something else on another TV while the program was being recorded.

I find that upon powering up the TV, the remote is very sluggish/unresponsive for the first 20 seconds of use, and browsing the Menus/TV Guide is also sluggish. I have changed the batteries, but nothing helped. Does anyone think this is a problem with the remote or the TV ???

The TV is still under warranty so should I return it for a Refund/Replacement ???

Thanks...

4 REPLIES 4
Looten-Duke
Explorer

Anyone...
profile.country.GB.title
Drewde
Administrator

Hi Looten-Duke,

Can you please contact Sony support and they'll be able to assist you further.

You can find the contact details here: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/tvhc

Thanks.

mcgillalan
Explorer

Everything you mention has always happened to me (slow when switched on, always saying HDD almost full even when empty) but I just put up with it - presumably the TV is using all of its resources to check the HDD when you switch it on. This was with a small external drive (ie a laptop drive that doesn't need a power supply). After the most recent system update, it stopped recording at all saying the HDD was full (even after deleting programs) but would still play fine. I tried registering another drive and that does work (and will record or go into TV pause without the annoying almost full message) but it is a standard desktop size drive that needs its own power supply meaning it would always be on (even when TV off and not recording) so I'd rather not use this. There doesn't seem to be any way to get the old recordings off the other drive either. If I need to buy a new HDD, I would appreciate knowing what it is that made my other drive stop working (after over a year of working fine except the minor annoyances you describe).

Looten-Duke
Explorer

I have tried filling out the support request only to be told that "email support is down for maintenence" after i click the "send" button...

And I am NOT prepared use the phone support...