Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia no longer recognises my registered Hard drive Help please

Davejanthony
Explorer

Bravia no longer recognises my registered Hard drive Help please

Here's the problem . WD hard drive registered to Tv fine. Was working for months in recording and playback then on start up of Tv it said hard drive connected and asked me to register! Obviousely I did't as I would loose all my recordings . Had Sony on the phone about 6 times to try to fix the issue. No joy!

The only suggestion was try to view and play movies like a normal non registered HD. Tried this and Drive showed up but no content showing on TV( like it was a blank drive). Connected drive to Mac and there are all the files intact. ( m2ts )

So I've backed up the drive in the hope that I could then try to put the movies onto a new drive and at least play them. Tried this and the Tv finds the m2ts files ( movies ) looks like it will play them and opens a player on Tv but just doesn't play anything. 

Any ideas how I can at least play the movies ? I know the Tv has encripted them but surely they should play on same TV?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There is probably very little I can add to this, considering that you have been through support 6 times.  It might just be the case that you have to scrubb your recordings and start again from scratch.  If they are movies, the movies are repeated all the time on Freeview.  If they are TV shows, you might want to consider catch-up (if possible) and if its sport..well..you probably already know the results.

Have you been through the TV's de-registration process and tried re-registering the HDD?  If so and it hasnt cured the problem, you might want to consider re-formatting the HDD into a supported file-format and re-registering it again.

I understand what you are getting at in regards to the encryption of recordings - and that is quite correct.  One would assume that the recordings would work back onto that very same TV - however, as I understand it, it wont work on a simple play-back - for it to work, the HDD must be registered to the TV of which the original recordings were made.

Sorry I cant be of any more assistance

Cheers

Davejanthony
Explorer

All points taken. 

Yes . have tried de registering HD but as the Tv thinks it is not registered that wont work. 

Frankly as you know the onlty solution it to lose all of my Tv movies and shows and start again. This is not at all satisfactory and Sony need to try to find a reliable work flow to solve this. For example enable us to back up files and if there happens to be an issue / problem allow original encripted files to play on the Tv that recorded them > This will still protect copyright etc. 

In the mean time I obviously cannot rely on the existing system by Sony. I have a seperate existing freeview box with external recording facilities that does not encript files so I will use this. This allows for reliable back up of ifles to computor and play back on any device! Simple and safe.

Thank you for the time. I hope others will take note of the above issues and think very carefully when deciding on what to use as their recording media / system.

Thanks again for the reply.

profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi

Encryption depends on TV’s firmware/hardware + media’s hardware/formatting. So, I think, backup is difficult or quite impossible.

Many times, TV’s after a firmware update, won’t recognize registered media anymore. 

As a very last try:

Have you try to unplug TV (all cables) for at least one minute and then, to perform a factory reset? (Warning! All personalization will be erased!)

Jannis  

PS

Anyway and unfortunately, :zipper_mouth:  Sony declines any responsibility in these cases. Example:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/13HG900111/EN/c_usbrec_europe_set.html

In no event shall Sony be liable for recording failure or any damage or loss of recorded content caused or associated with the TV’s malfunction, signal interference, or any other problem...”

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
Davejanthony
Explorer

Hi Jannis,

Thanks for the input. I thought all connected media for recording has to be Fat 32 and I do  believe it should be possible to allow  backup of drives and playback from another( if original fails or registration pets lost ) as long as it's on the same TV. Just needs some time and effort from Sony.

Yes I did try to unplugg the mains lead and factry reset. No joy.