Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL40NX703 firmware update issue - iplayer

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Boomies
Visitor

Bravia KDL40NX703 firmware update issue - iplayer

Just recieved my Bravia KDL40NX703. All worked fine out of the box except iplayer. I've read the forum issues. The current firmware is 0103. I have downloaded the latest formware 0108, loaded onto three different USB sticks. Reformatted them with FAT32. Refreshed internet content but it simply will not take the update. The on-screen message says that the service requires a software update  for my tv (and, yes, the "automatic software update" is set to "on"). It recognises the USB, but doesn't go through the update process.

I am going potty and have wasted loads of time over the weekend trying to sort this oue. Can anyone help??

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
wetsleet
Visitor

According to the blurb the Bravias update firmware when left in standby with a network connection. My 40EX403 did exactly that the first night after I got it connected to my router. I didn't even realise it had happened until I tried to update the firmware manually using a USB drive, and the telly reported "no newer firmware found" or some such. Initially I thought 'here we go, why won't the damn thing update like it is supposed to...' - then I checked the firmware version in the TV and found it was up to date. It is only becasue I had actually written down the firmware version off the Bravia the night before that I was fully convinced anything had happened.

As to updating via USB, I just followed the instructions on the webpage where I got the update from. I downloaded the file to the root directory of my flash drive, which is formatted in FAT32.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Catmambo
Contributor

When you download the firmware update, you have to leave the file  structure intact, i.e. leave the actual file inside the folder it  created when you unzipped it, not simply copy paste the file onto a USB  drive. The instructions aren't perfect, but if you follow them  precisely, you shouldn't  have a problem, but the most common issue is  not leaving the file inside the folder.

Unlikely the TV is faulty, just double check how you have the file on your USB thumb drive..

Boomies
Visitor

Hi - thanks for the prompt reply. The file is inside the folder. All naming conventions appear correct:

Folder                             sony_dtv0FA00A00A0A0_00010100

File (which is inside)        00010100_01e90000.bin

It recognises the USB dongles, but doesn't run through the update process. In addition, it didn't take the update OTA last night despite being left on standby.

thanks

Boomy

Boomies
Visitor

HI there,

Any thoughts on this? Also, how often do the OTA updates take place?

thanks

N

wetsleet
Visitor

According to the blurb the Bravias update firmware when left in standby with a network connection. My 40EX403 did exactly that the first night after I got it connected to my router. I didn't even realise it had happened until I tried to update the firmware manually using a USB drive, and the telly reported "no newer firmware found" or some such. Initially I thought 'here we go, why won't the damn thing update like it is supposed to...' - then I checked the firmware version in the TV and found it was up to date. It is only becasue I had actually written down the firmware version off the Bravia the night before that I was fully convinced anything had happened.

As to updating via USB, I just followed the instructions on the webpage where I got the update from. I downloaded the file to the root directory of my flash drive, which is formatted in FAT32.