Join now - be part of our community!

hotspot

profile.country.MK.title
IgSo5.
Explorer

hotspot

Hi, 

i have Xperia M2 , i am trying to establish wi-fi connection on my lap-top using Hotspot wi-fi from the Xperia M2 mobile. Inthernet connection is not working over hotspot when the chip card with my number is not inserted in the mobile. 

Hotspot is working only when the chipcard is inserted in Xperia M2. Why hotspot from Xperia M2 is not sending wi-fi connection to my Laptop when in Xperia M2 the chipcard is not inserted?

IgSo5.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

It is normal behaviour.

Using hotspot your mobile connection is transferred to a WiFi connection on which you can login from another device, so your SIM card needs to be inserted.

You'll find it in the manual, page 31.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @IgSo5.,

your smartphone can't act as a repeater for your already existing WiFi hotspot.

It can only create a HotSpot from the mobile data you have booked to your SIM card.

- Nic

profile.country.MK.title
IgSo5.
Explorer

I had it before, i make hotspot using wi-fi from my account and it is the same account package going with TV, internet and mobile number. My Router shares wi-fi and i used it on my mobile Sony, then switched hotspot from the mobile in order to use internet for my laptop. So, it worked ok but now the Hotspot is not working when using wi-fi, the only way is to  use internet from my smart phone. 

profile.country.MK.title
IgSo5.
Explorer

The message i receive on smart phone Sony Xperia M2  is:

tethering&portable hotspot

any ongoing wi-fi operations such as media transfer, phone software, update, backup and restore will be interrupted.

This message comes while i use wi-fi and in the moment when (in same time) i use the Hotspot then the message above is appearing. The thing i see after the message is just hotspot symbol and wi-fi symbol is gone. Which means no internet over wi-fi. 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

That's how it is.

Your Smartphone receives a mobile network signal and then acts as a WiFi transmitter sending out a WiFi signal.

It cannot receive and send WiFi at the same time.

So when you're on WiFi and switch on the Hotspot then WiFi reception (and sending over that WiFi connection) will be interrupted and your phone will act as a transmitter a WiFi station, just like your router.

profile.country.MK.title
IgSo5.
Explorer

Thanks this was very good answer. :slight_smile: