Join now - be part of our community!

SVR-HDT500 / SVR-HDT1000 - Duplicate Recordings Issue

SOLVED
Anonymous
Not applicable

SVR-HDT500 / SVR-HDT1000 - Duplicate Recordings Issue

Hello All

For anyone who has these two models HDD Recorders (SVR-HDT500 + SVR-HDT1000) there seems to be an issue when recording.  My mum has one of these boxes and it is recording the same show twice - even though there is only 1 instance in the timer list.

Upon going to the USA Forums, there seems to be others experiencing this issue as well. The people posting on the USA Forums seem to be UK people See:  http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Theater-Products/Sony-SVR-HDT500-recording-same-programme-twice/td...

I am therefore escalating this issue to SonyUK Support in order for them to provide a resolution.

I would urge those that have this problem to post a reply in this thread.

Thank you all.

183 REPLIES 183
profile.country.GB.title
TerrorByte
Explorer

Can someone tell me why quoted replies come out so LARGE on here? 🙂
Parkk09
Explorer

Just performed the temporary fix and so far so good. Remote no longer sluggish, lets me select programmes to record and no duplicate recordings. Did lose pre-recordings but they're easily added again. I manually added the 3 main PSB's plus a couple of others and for the moment it's working perfectly. Still need a permanent fix though. Cheers Quinnicus for continuing to keep us frustrated Sony owners updated :thumbsup:

largeronald
Explorer

@TerrorByte wrote:

@copperbeeches wrote:

Thanks for all your attention over this issue, Quinnicus.

Has anyone tried this method yet?

Do you know if any pre-recorded and archived recordings will be earased in the process?

Cheers ;-)

I've not tried this, and I'm going to wait for the actual fix.

I see no reason it would remove recordings, but I expect it to clear all your Timer events as you are effectively replacing the programme guide. Also I expect to have to "un-do" this workaround once the fix is available. Whether the "fix" will also lose things is yet to be seen. :-S

It doesn't remove recordings, but it may or may not (it did on mine, but not on a friend's) clear your timer events. Go figure.

A quote from a chap on AVforums who's done some work on this (I'm sure he won't mind).

"I thought that it was a memory issue, but having cleared the DS and loaded just the ARQA channels - something like 26 services - my DS malfunctioned. Loading all the others with out ARQA - >150 services - and its working."

It's looking like it's the ARQA channel (has Dave on it along with others) that is doing the damage. If that is the case, as long as DigitalUK fix the problem at their end, you shouldn't need to undo Sony's workaround - simply add the missing channels manually, which shouldn't affect any Timers you've set on the channels (PSB1, 2 & 3) you have post workaround.

andpicke1
Explorer

Same problem here, escalating over past two or three weeks. Double recordings, timer non deletable, stoppages during playback.  It means you can't record two simultaneous broadcasts if you need to, as it gives the duplicate priority.

Thanks for giving this prominence. 

profile.country.GB.title
jenny54
Explorer

thank you for the update but by doing this we are only getting 3 channels what's the point think I will wait till sony come up with a complete fix if ever they do

PEEVED23
Explorer

I did the workaround and didn't lose my timers or recordings, but if you're worried then take a photo of your timer list before you try. You don't get all the channels (Dave, Quest etc..) but you get the main ones. It serms to be working ok for me at the moment (after I fluffed it the first attempt and Quinnicus put me right!). It's not ideal but its a start..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All

For those that are curious or confused over what PSB1, PSB2 and PSB3 are in regards to the temporary solution - these are what is called 'Multiplexes'. 

DigitalUK's definition of a Multiplex is:

"A DTT multiplex is a bundle of TV services that have been digitised, compressed and combined into a data-stream for transmission to the consumer over a single channel. ... There are three public service broadcaster (PSB) multiplexes - BBC A, BBC B and D34 - and five commercial multiplexes - SDN, ARQA, ARQB, COM7 and COM8."

For a list of channels that are available on each multiplex - see:

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes

Cheers

Edit: Your SVR-HDT500/1000 HDD Recorder has 2 internal tuners - but you can actually record/watch 3 TV channels at one time.  If you are already recording 2 channels at the same time, you can watch a 3rd channel 'live' if the channel is on the same multiplex of the channel that you are recording.  (if that makes sense)

PEEVED23
Explorer

@jenny54 wrote:

thank you for the update but by doing this we are only getting 3 channels what's the point think I will wait till sony come up with a complete fix if ever they do

You actually end up with 3 GROUPS of channels. I now have apprx 24 tv and 17 radio channels.

Parkk09
Explorer

The only multiplex which caused my HDR to malfunction is ArqA (COM5). I've got all other channels back save for this small cluster. Does anyone actually watch 'Dave' 'truTV' 'pick' and 'Food Network'?? Box has been absolutely  fine tonight after temporary fix so I'd definitely say give it a go. 

PEEVED23
Explorer

Btw, I applied the workaround to both of our machines and in both cases I found you need to "reboot" immediately after in order to get your timer list back. I also rebooted immediately before starting the workaround as well. All appears stable so far. 

I watch Dave btw. Gutted I can't get Red Dwarf atm. 😞