Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 Speaker Relocation/Phantom Surround Back - Type A vs Type B

profile.country.GB.title
outpost33

STR-DN1080 Speaker Relocation/Phantom Surround Back - Type A vs Type B

Hi,

Does anyone have a really clear explanation of the difference between the two Phantom Surround modes, Type A and Type B? The online manual is not very clear, and I've searched various forums for help, in the process discovering a couple of differing interpretations. One explanation is as follows:

"Option A is for 5.1. This phantoms 2 extra speakers at the back, fooling your ears thinking you have a 7.1 set up.

Option B is for 7.1 set up but your speakers are in the wrong place. This setting helps to fool your ears in to thinking the 4 rear surrounds are all in the correct position."

My instinct is that this is only partially correct. The diagrams in the setup menu seem to suggest that both modes do some form of speaker relocation, and both modes offer phantom surround back, but they are not clear on which mode would work best for a given setup.

I think it's going to take someone from Sony tech support to really answer this clearly, but I'd be very grateful if anyone thinks they have a definitive answer. It's a shame that both the manual and the setup menu are so vague.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001272307.html

Calibrating speaker positioning (Speaker Relocation/Phantom Surround Back)

This function calibrates the speaker positioning (angle of each speaker’s configuration from the measurement position) based on the measurement results of the Auto Calibration (D.C.A.C. EX) function to bring the sound closer to the surround-sound effect obtained with ideal speaker positioning. Thus, for example, this function can allow you to enjoy a surround-sound effect acoustically equivalent to that of a 7.1.2-channel speaker system, using only a 5.1.2-channel speaker system.

1. Select [Setup] - [Speaker Settings] from the home menu.
  2. Select [SpeakerRelocation/PhantomSurroundBack].
  3. Select the setting you want.
    • Type A: This function adjusts each speaker’s distance and angle to simulate the sound of an ideally placed surround system. When surround speakers are available, the surround back speakers sound as if they have been placed on the back wall.

When height speakers such as front high speakers or top middle speakers are available, the height speakers sound as if they have been placed on each side directly aligned with the front speakers.

• Type B: This function adjusts each speaker’s distance and angle to simulate the sound of an ideally placed surround system. When surround speakers are available, the 4 surround speakers sound as if they have been placed at the identical angle.

When height speakers such as front high speakers or top middle speakers are available, the height speakers sound as if they have been placed on each side directly aligned with the front speakers.

• Off: Speaker positioning is not relocated.

Manolo

profile.country.GB.title
outpost33

Hi Manolo,

Many thanks, I'm very aware of what it says in the manual, and I'm also very familiar with how to auto calibrate, set speaker angles etc.

What is not clear from the manual is how these modes are used in real-world setups, and what the difference is between A and B. That's why I gave the example explanation, which I believe may be only partially correct.

If you have a clear, real-world explanation of what the difference is between Type A and Type B, please let me know!

profile.country.GB.title
outpost33

For anyone else wanting to understand the difference between these two modes, I decided to bite the bullet and contact Sony support. The answer is simple, but differs from all the explanations I've heard so far.

Both Type A and Type B can create phantom rear speakers, and both modes also provide relocation. Both modes work with all speaker configurations available for this amp: 5.1, 5.1.2 and 7.1.

The only difference between the modes is the placement of the speakers in the virtual layout. Type A creates a layout in which the side surrounds are perceived to be slightly behind the listening position, and Type B creates a layout in which all speakers are perceived to be at an identical angle, with the side surrounds slighty forward of the listening position.

Hope that helps anyone with the same question.

profile.country.GB.title
outpost33

The above advice from the Sony support helpline is now contradicted by this post:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/str-dn1080-dolby-atmos/td-p/2579647

According to that post, the Phantom modes only work with a 5.1.2 setup. Whether that's true or not (and the correct answer to my original question) remains unclear.

profile.country.GB.title
Richib74
Explorer

Soooo reading this i have four ceiling speakers and then usual front left right and centres and sub but no rears should my settings be the 7.1 b just can't seem to get the rear ceilings right on the settings 

profile.country.GB.title
dpower1982
New

Thanks for the explanation, i have the str1080 and I was trying to figure this out. I have up firing Dolby Atmos speakers that sit on top of my main speakers. I use the 5.1 FD setting. I wonder how this should be set. My surrounds are just behind my listening position do to room  Charc.  I am assuming type A.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@outpost33 @dpower1982 @Richib74 

Listen to both.

Pick the one you prefer.

Trust your ears.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.US.title
rong.norway
Explorer

Yes, I'm like you, I want to know. And I am award that the certain limitations within the appliance of the diverse Sony TA1000 cause and effects, doesn't add up in reality.

This effect, Phantom Surround, IN ITS "TYPE B", CERTAINLY HAVE A DIRECT INTERACTION WITH 2.0 Sterio.

In fact it, it just made Jerry Goldsmith's "The Mummy" Soundtrack surround me and that with a deep thrust in the bass, a constant kick but smooth and all over a sound egg.

Just turn it on and off with a set number music, and you will find it works with 2.0.

Type A don't