Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN 1080 Protector question

profile.country.GB.title
jlmacd
New

STR-DN 1080 Protector question

Hi. New to this forum but hoping someone may be able to help, please. 
I have just purchased and installed a new Sony STR-DN1080 to replace an old STR-DA2400ES. 
After initial set up and speaker calibration I paired my iPhone 13 to it and played some audio to test it. All good until about 30mins in when the unit suddenly switched itself off. I am guessing it must have triggered Protector mode - I didn’t see the display before it shut off - but why? Perhaps I had the volume too high? Looking back I had the phone volume all the way up but the amp only at around 50% or thereabouts. 
Speakers are KEF 3001 (5.1 set up) which are, I believe, 8ohm impedance so should be ok with this amp, no? 
After I turned it back on, I reduced the iPhone volume and adjusted the amp volume instead. I continued listening for another half hour or so and no reoccurrence of it tripping out, thankfully. 
I am a little disheartened that this has happened as the reason I replaced the old DA2400ES was that it would occasionally do this when an unexpected loud moment would happen in a movie and it would go into protect mode also. As the unit was old (purchased in 2011) I guessed it was just old age and was perhaps failing. 
After this happening with the new one I am now worried there may be something else at play here. All terminations are neat and sound but not sure what else, if anything, could be wrong here? 

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hey @jlmacd 

I found this in the help guide of the device for the occasions that the STR power off by itself in: https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001221196.html

Did it happen with you again when you have the volume on a high level?