Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
LastLap

I have tried holding the power and stop b uttons down then doing an Easy Setup but I still don't have any EPG channels.   I can record manually using the timer function but am no better off than I was yesterday for EPG.   Sony still haven't even replied to the e-mail I sent them on Saturday morning.   I would have thought that it would be quite simple for them to send out direct, specific instructions to anyone who had e-mailed them - they would have the addresses and should have responded.   When you buy from Sony, your contract is with them - not with an external agency - and it is them who should be responding and trying to get things put right.

LastLap

I just stumbled on the advice to change to digital EPG instead of the defaulted Guide Plus - and THREE CHEERS - I now have EPG back.   Many, many thanks to the kind, supportive - clever - people who have helped with this.

Best wishes.

profile.country.GB.title
stevied

Still no official word or any signs of an apology from Sony about this issue. I also notice that the help line is still only open from 9 to 5 Monday to Friday while the sales department work on Saturday too. Show where the priorities lie. Not good enough Sony and  for one will be considering what to buy when my current  kit gives up. Shame really as I really like Sony products.

Mr_Onion

Why should SONY apologise for something that is not their doing?

It was the EPG guide providors fault with their programming conflicting with SONYs soft/firmware

pennyhew
New

TECHNICALLY LIMITED!!

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL -MY 870 OK- WE WERE SETTING TO RECORD WHEN THINGS WENT WRONG ON FRIDAY. FAMILY DEPARTED SAT AND I THOUGHT GO ON WEB AND TYPE IN PROBLEM-UP ALL YOU LIFE SAVERS CAME. I CAN NOT IMAGINE LIFE WITH OUT THIS MACHINE I AM NOW GOING TO PUT THE PROGS SITTING ON HARD DRIVE AND NEEDED ONTO DISK BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE GOES WRONG.

AGAIN THANK YOU MANY TIMES OVER.

nimbus55020
Explorer

Hi

We have a Pioneer DVR 560HX and have had the same problem.  I have tried unplugging, no luck.  I have tried going back to factory reset, which went okay, but still no channels found.  It says 'no signal', but this is rubbish, because the same aerial cable gives a perfectly good signal through an old stand alone Freeview box.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Tim

pewrigh38

check your aerial is going into the digital tuner in and out at the back and not the analogue tuner in and out, that has fooled quite a few people on various forums (its the centre sockets on our sony HXD models)

nimbus55020
Explorer

Many thanks, that and using digital eps has worked perfectly.  Never used the middle input before, because I've got a very old aerial!  But it worked, so grateful thanks to you and the many other people who have spent time on here helping, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

profile.country.GB.title
daseale66
Explorer

Had the same issue too. I was just about to by a new box. On the run up to this event , has anyone hand any issues recording F1? My box has failed to record F1 this year

Power reset appears to have fixed our 995