Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
pewrigh38

the epg is fine if you change the epg from the defunct guideplus to the digital epg sent out by freeview

Totally coincidentally I had the day before getting the dreaded "Update" message and an apparently dead machine, I had updated the firmware on my 890 to 1.70 so I had assumed that I had broken my unit.

So it was with considerable relief that I saw this whole mess being reported on The Register and BBC.

Against my expectations the unplug for 30 seconds was all I needed to do to fix things - although it didn't appear to work at first.

Although it may be too much to hope for, I'm hoping that my disappearing channel list and continual retuning to get them back is a thing of the past thanks to the firmware update.

pewrigh38

890 uses firmware 1.24 , 870 is 1.70 , so I assume you mean on your 870

almarsh71
Explorer

Do you really believe this?

So far I have spent hours trying to get my RDR890 (firmware Version 1.15) working again.  Neither your "official" advice nor those writing on the thread has had any effect. As for the phone helpline......!

Getting the system to work again seems to be more a matter of luck than technical expertise. The EPG provider has much to answer for. 

almarsh71
Explorer

How do I update firmware on the 890?

Mr_Onion

"890 uses firmware 1.24 , 870 is 1.70 , so I assume you mean on your 870"

Sorry, what was I thinking? Yes it was 1.24 on an 890 that is still fine in terms of both issues

I DON'T BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!!

Tuesday 30/07/2013 between 10:25 and 10:30. All I did was leave the room and make a cup of coffee. Same symptoms as 19/07. EPG gone funny. Channels on for 1 second and then go blank.

Answers please. I don't want to have to go through the initial set up every week and I don't want to have to buy a replacement.

Aurorafel

I had the same problem, but the French thing worked, thank you for that help, I then set  it to English and was happy to have my old settings back.  However, it has just happned again!  Not good Sony, lost all my timer settings first time, missed some programmes because I had forgotten what I recorded when and where, just got things back to normal and Zap, same old problem again. Will you fix it properly this time please?

Aurorafel

Me too, AGAIN! Will wait for help, cannot do all that messing and resetting again!