Join now - be part of our community!

SMP N200 Network Media PLayer

mikejc111
Explorer

SMP N200 Network Media PLayer

This is my first message on this board, so I hope I've put it in the right place. I recently installed my Netwrk Media Player, and it streams very well from Lovefilm Instant and the BBC IPLAYER - provided my laptop is off so that it doesn't eat all the internet in the house. It also plays back MPEG files from a portable hard drive I have plugged into it.

I was hoping to have a huge library of content on there, as I believe the future of physical media is questionable. However almost every piece of video I have plays back with glitches. Big blocky pixelated glitches. When I play back the exact same pieces on any computer they do NOT occur. There is something about this device that makes it extremely sensetive to small quirks in the code. Sometimes using a video converter (streamclip) improves things, but somethimes not.

I really would love to hear that others have been experiencing the same problem, then we can all ask Sony to address this problem with a firmware upgrade.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Im not sure where to start on this one, I think more information is needed.  As in

• What are the resolutions of the video files (ie 1920x1080(HD bluray) or 720x480(DVD) or lower)

Try using a program called "media info" google it, and run it on one of the problem video files.  Post back the results

The thing is, when playing video files, a low quality one will look "fine" on a 15" laptop screen, but blow it up on a 40+ inch TV, and then you can see the flaws in the encoding.

Cheers

mikejc111
Explorer

Well I can tell you that the resolution is the same as DVD and the look of the files are superb. These gllitches occur randomly, momentarily and sporadically. The piece plays fine for about twenty minutes (for example) and then for a duration of about two-three frames a big blocky square may appear for a second.on the lower half of the screen and then disappear. When playing the video back several times the glitch always occurs in the same place.

Also I've moved the same problematic file onto a memory stick, put that into the player, and exactly the same problem moves with it.

None of these problems occur when playing the exact same file back on any computer.

Running the file through streamclip sometimes clears it up but not always. Sometimes repeating that process too many times puts more glitches on it.

mikejc111
Explorer

I've even reverted back to the factory settings and the problem remains.

mikejc111
Explorer

Ooh it's sure quiet here. I may just buy another one. If no-one else in the world has this problem then surely it's something wrong with the unit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The problem is : That it is very hard to advise on your problem without more accurate and detailed information.

At the very least :

• What resolution ?
  • What bitrate ?
  • Which codec and container are you using ?
  • Are you able to provide a screenshot(photo) of the problem ?

Then compare the details with a working video file to a problem one. 

You said that it sometimes clears up with running the file through streamclip (which is just a video converter/encoder).  And that the problem is still their when playing the files directly via a USB drive. This says to me that the Media player is working fine.  Its the video files themselves.

Why does it work on your computer correctly and not the TV.  It COULD be because the computer is doing addional processing of the video files themselves.

Anyway, as I said in my first post - use a program called "Media Info" (Available : Here) and post back the results in text format for both a working video file and a problem one.

Hope that assists in anyway.

Cheers.

mikejc111
Explorer

Your word BITRATE has got me excited.

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check (I've had MediaInfo for quite a while)

I've converted all my movie files into MPEG 2, as a lot of my archived material (wedding, home movies) came from DVD's.

The resolution is 576 by 720, standad definition PAL, framerate will either be 25 or 50 - I would imagine 50 as it will be interlaced. I cannot set my Media Player to Progressive as my TV is old school glass tube! And sorry n' all but I don'r have the means to provide a screenshot.

Can you tell me the ideal bitrate that the box likes to work with? I may be pushing it too hard, although if that's the solution then it will be tough to find a software that can batch convert them all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

From the information provided, my advice is to use to re-convert the video files from the DVD's with a program called "Handbrake".  This is a free open-source program, and works brilliantly (use it myself). 

http://handbrake.fr/

I have used many of the "free" video converter softwares that are available, and they all produce varying results.

I wouldnt bother with mpeg2 anymore, use mpeg4 (mp4)

Bitrate - In simple terms, is the amount of data used in a second of video footage.  The higher the bitrate, the better the quality.  Also as the bitrate increases so does the file size and hence more bandwidth needed to stream the file.

Hope that helps

Cheers.

mikejc111
Explorer

one of my videos has 5.1 surround. Isn't mpeg 4 something that can only have stereo?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

MP4 does support 5.1 surround sound.  Use eitther MP4 or MKV.

All you can do is try, nothing to loose really other than  time.  Suggest doing 1 file, and test. 

cheers