Join now - be part of our community!

PVR keeps finding duplicate channels

SOLVED
Mr_Onion

PVR keeps finding duplicate channels

This is driving my nuts. I do a 'factory Reset, full retune, and set the PVR. Then, all by its self the PVR will pick up another BBC1, BBC2, or ITV1 broadcast, and assign all of the PVR settings to the new broadcast.

So, I have set the PVR to record Dr Who on BBC1 Saturday evening, in the mean while the PVR has found another BBC one broadcast and assigned it 801 on the guide. The PVR then in its wisdom decided I meant to record 801 not 001, by then of course the signal has dropped in level so that I record nothing.

Skip the channel in the guide? No difference, it just finds it again.

Sony RDR HDX 995 Belmont mast receiving BBC Yorkshire and Lincs. The 'rogue' BBC1 is Yorkshire, presumably from another mast

There must be some way to stop this happening, but I am blowed if I can find it

17 REPLIES 17
Mr_Onion

Update time. Since the post above I have had the 6db attenuator installed, and it has not found the unwanted channels BUT a few of the 'lesser' channels are occasionally a bit blocky, so I guess its a bit too much.

I can't find a 4db or 5db one (not that I really expected to. Multiples of 3db are the usual options) so I am going to look for a decent variable one. Theres plenty of cheap rubbish ones around but so far nothing that looks good quality.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update.  Your slowly getting there :slight_smile:

Mr_Onion

Yup, its getting there; albeit slowly.

I have found some 2db attenuators, so I have just ordered a couple. That will give me adjustments from 2db to 6db in 1db steps. Perfect as 3db is too little and 6db too much.

Not exactly neat, but the adjustable ones I have seen look like something that Blue Peter knocked up.

Once they arrive I'll try 4db to start with. Update next week (probably)

What would be far easier though would be the option NOT to automatically find new channels built in to the PVR. If I want new channels I can add them myself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mr_Onion wrote:

What would be far easier though would be the option NOT to automatically find new channels built in to the PVR. If I want new channels I can add them myself.

I've actually asked this question about a week ago.  However Im wating for a response back - however its hightly unlikely im afraid.  This is one of the reasons I hate "automatic" unless there is a switch to turn it off.  Micro$oft is famous for this too.

Mr_Onion

I've had 4db in place for a few days and so far its only found one extra ITV on CH44 and placed it as 800 in the guide, but its only got 1% signal strength and has not replaced the timer recording I have set on ITV.

I think we have a winner!!. If it does replace the timer recording I'll up it to 5db, but otherwise I have finished.

Anonymous
Not applicable

WELL DONE !!!

A potential solution that just may help others.  Just to let you know, I have asked for a ON/OFF switch in the settings to be added to the device to switch this auto update off.  Unfortunately............ It aint going to happen.  But at least you have found a way that helps you.

Cheers

Mr_Onion

Thanks

I couldn't see SONY re writing the firmware to make life easier, though you can set the SONY TV not to add extra channels, so why not the PVR? It seems stupid that 2 very similar tuner head software works in totally different ways.

Cable/satellite seems to have a lot going for it after all this faffing about :wink:

This is a relatively easy fix, you need to perform a manual retune - for this you will need to know the channels / multiplex numbers which to store, one way to obtain this information is to perform a auto retune and carefully note down the channel / multiplex number that provides the channels you require and that have a strong signal, typicaly this will be between 4 and 6 two didgit numbers, just keep an eye on the display as the auto tune progresses through its search, and note down the multiplex channel number when you see the normal stations you wish to store, it may take a couple of auto re-tunes to make sure you have all the stations you should have, from the correct transmitter, at the fullest strengh.

once you have the multiplex channel numbers, start a manual re-tune and follow the instructions on how to enter the multiplex numbers, it may take a few attempts to get the hang of this, but all being well this will solve your problem. once installed see if you have an option to stop new stations from installing themselves, it may well be deep in a setup menu.

regards  Simon.