Join now - be part of our community!

NSZ-GS7 -- is it really any good for catch-up TV?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Clem_Dye
Explorer

NSZ-GS7 -- is it really any good for catch-up TV?

Apologies in advance for this, my first post, but I'm struggling to get a clear picture (no pun intended) of what this box will actually do for me in terms of UK catch-up TV. I really don't want a Youview box, as I don't make use of a lot of catch-up TV services at present, but it seems that the NSZ-GS7 Sony Google TV box would be a good compromise between something like a Youview box and fully-fledged PC/Mac connected to my Sony TV.

I'm not (currently) interested in anything other than getting reliable access to ITVPlayer and 4OD, as my Sony TV can already handle iPlayer and Demand5, although having web-based access to all of them via the Google TV box would make life simpler.

From I can tell thus far it seems that:

- iPlayer may work if the /bigscreen option is added to the URL.

- ITVPlayer either works or doesn't.

- 4OD seems to work sometimes.

- Demand5 -- who knows, as next to no-one uses it!

- Firmware versions seem to play a part in whether or not the on-demand stuff works.

Although I can get a box from the likes of John Lewis and return it if it doesn't work, after the 28-day returns period I'd be stuck with it. From what I can make out people's experiences vary -- for some it just seems to work, for others it worked then stopped, and for a percentage of people it just never worked, period.

Is this box viable, or is it one to avoid for now? It's not the most expensive item out there for sure, but like most people I don't have cash to spare so any purchase has to be carefully considered. I certainly can't afford to waste money on something that doesn't work.

TIA

Clem

5 REPLIES 5
gofrost

The only way to access these services is through the chrome browser and 4OD doesn't work only runs the ads and then stops.Itv works but the resolution is not that great, my download speed being around 11mbps. I havn't got 5 to work

Clem_Dye
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. It looks like that it's one to avoid then, at least for now. Pity, because it appears that it would integrate with my other Sony kit nicely. It seems that neither Sony or Google are that interested in supporting the product. That's OK though, because I'm not that keen to support either of them with my wallet and buy their product in its current form.

Back to the drawing board -- that Youview box is getting closer ......

TVM

Clem

Catmambo
Contributor

Good question

So broadcaster support for Google TV is still pretty positive, I'd anticipate specific applications being made available in the not too distant future. There will be more Google TV devices from other manufacturers in Q1 which will grow the market and make it more appealing for the broadcasters as its a little bit chicken & egg. You need the number of eyeballs to make it appetising enough for a broadcaster to devote the resource to building an application. Google know this is a very active area of the market with Apple circling with Apple TV & rumours, so they are putting a lot of resource into enhancing the experience.

Youview will do ok, but its being propped up by the broadcasters at a loss & don't expect to see any of the big global aggregators develop applications for it such as Netflix & Youtube any time soon.

Hope this helps

Clem_Dye
Explorer

The thing with the Google TV box is that it's tanalizingly close to filling the gap, at least for me. From the posts that I've seen here and elsewhere I get the impression that the firmware is still far too US-centric, which might explain a few things. A stable working browser solution to the main UK TV catch-up services would be a start. It's not helped of course by the TV broadcasters acting as moving targets, and, as you say, whilst Youview is being propped-up by our broadcasters any solution will be delivered with Youview and major PC/Mac platforms in mind. The lack of Chrome browser support is inexcusable though -- it's not as if this is a new kid on the block.

It will be interesting to see how Google TV develops as a platform. I would submit though that in the UK, if [indirect] support for catch-up TV services isn't a viable option then I'm not sure how well it will do. Of course, this must be a minefield for manufacturers -- each market will have its own quirks and foibles, so I can well understand why Google TV has a heavy US leaning. Unfortunately, in this day and age, that won't cut it internationally any more.

We live in interesting times, as I believe the Chinese proverb goes .....

Clem

Batfinkk

Google Tv does have full Chrome support - its just that the broadcaster catchup areas aren't optimised for mobile browsing as dedicated apps exist for android handsets but not android/Google TV.