Join now - be part of our community!

Loosing sound after Guide

profile.country.en_GB.title
brianhulse
Visitor

Loosing sound after Guide

I have a Sony SVR-HDT500 connected to a Sony STR-DH810 AV Reciever. This is in turn connected to a Sony KDL-40EX403 TV. Connections all via HDMI. The HDD is connected the amp on HDMI 2. The TV via HDMI 1 (AV Return). In addtion,I have a Sony DVD/HDD recorder connected to the amp via HDMI 3. I also have two Apple TVs connected directly to HDMI inputs on the TV

Normally, we view the TV via the HDD recorder. We use the HDD recorder remote. If we want to change source (to the DVD), we use the DVD remote & select Guide etc. We do not use the amp remote comander

My issue - I intermittently loose sound from the amp when coming back from Guide on the HDD. From watching TV as normal (source HDD), we go to HDD guide. On cancelling Guide ,returning to watcing TV, we have no sound. Our fix is to cycle to another input on the TV, by using the HDD remote TV input button, cycle to another input then back to the HDD input... sound comes back on

This might sound like a minor issue, but the wife is about to put a brick throught the TV. It does become very anoying having to cycle through inputs everytime you use Guide etc.

Issue also happens if we use Title List - return fro Title list results in no sound - we fix in the same way

Both the TV & amp are set to Contol for HDMI...

Any advice on a fix greatly appreciated

B

Message was edited by: brianhulse

Issue also happens if we use Title List - return from Title List results in no sound - we  fix in the same way

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too had various issues in regards to sound when connecting my SVR-HDT500 to my STR-DH820. However, I never experienced the issues on when going to guide etc. The issue I believe was that the AMP was failing to switch to the correct HDMI properly.

The solution is to have your PVR (SVR-HDT500) connected directly to the TV (KDL-40EX403), which then outputs the sound to your AMP.

TV - HDMI 1 (ARC) - AMP

TV - HDMI 2 - PVR

Hope that helps.

profile.country.en_GB.title
brianhulse
Visitor

Many thanks Quinnicus..

I was afraid this might be the answer. I am configured this way as it was meant to make switching easier! To get he best of my HDMI inputs, I have the apple TVs going direct to the TV (figured I could not switch between these if they were going via the amp without using the amp remote). I knwe the HDD / DVD drives could be switched by selecting a funtion on them using the repsective remote. Ultimatley, the wife wans one remote. The amp commander is too complex.

However, your solution maybe th only one I have

Must admit, pretty dissapointing from Sony. The only reason I bought all Soy kit was for compatibility, to get round just thi sort of issue... very poor

B

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats ok

Other things work fine via the AMP, like the PS3. I just personally think its an issue between the PVR and AMP only. There is no sound difference having the PVR connected to the TV.

I too, wanted a single remote solution without paying for a dedicated remote, However you will like this though.

The AMP remote will not work with the PS3

The TV Remote works fine on the PS3, but the number keypad does not work on the PVR (HDT500)

The PVR remote does not have the buttons required to use everything.

So I have a 2 remote system. I control everything via the TV remote, and change sound fields via the AMP remote. I got rid of the PVR remote, and only use to retune in PVR

Cheers