Join now - be part of our community!

Is it possible to replace the INTERNAL hard drive for a svr-hdt500

profile.country.en_GB.title
RichardBonnett
Visitor

Is it possible to replace the INTERNAL hard drive for a svr-hdt500

My internal hard drive appears to have failed. Is it possible to replace it? I see on Amazon they are only £35 for a 500GB one. I'm happy to pay this if it fixes the problem. My concern is that the operating system is on the internal hard drive and if I put a blank one in then nothing will work.

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

I cannot see a reason why you cannot replace the HDD, if thats what you wish to do. However I would recommend the following:

1 - Before purchasing a new HDD, open up the PVR and write down the exact Make/Model of the HDD.

2 - I would NOT recommend you buying any old cheap HDD, as the HDD's in the PVR are their for a reason. (IE, Always on, low power mode, handling multiple streams of video etc etc)

3 - See the Link below in regards to another persons experience. Dont know the the resolution though.

In regards to the OS, I would have thought that it is stored on flash memory, as there is an option to Format the HDD in the Others > Disk menu.

If by any chance you go down this route, and was successful, would you mind posting back to these forums on the steps taken in replacing it, as it maybe handy to others (and myself) at a later date.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/1667595-sony-hdt500-hard-disk-drive.html

Cheers.