Join now - be part of our community!

HT-XT3 sync issue, audio lag/delay!

mr.hertzberg
Explorer

HT-XT3 sync issue, audio lag/delay!

Just got a HT-XT3, and there is a slight delay in audio. Not much, actuallt I might not have noticed right away if I wasn't looking for flaws.

I use optical toslink from my tv.I love the sound, but thisbugs me. The audio is delayed, even if I have of course set the in-built lips sync to 0ms. Adjustingit up makes it worse. I first noticed when running the tv speakers and the ht-xt3 at the same time, I heard this echo effect. I have had two other soundbases here for testing, and they have been totally in line with the inbuilt TV-speakers (both soundbases connected via optical)

When I run a youtube- test like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szoOsG9137U - the inbuilt TV speakers are totally on the spot, but there is a noticable delay with the HT-XT3. 

I have updated the XT3 to the latest firmware. I use the toslink connection. It is the same with all sources (PS4, BlueRay and my digital cable TV-box)

Five minute sync test movie. Extremely exciting. You'll never guess how this one ends!
25 REPLIES 25
mr.hertzberg
Explorer

Just did, yesterday (got a Philips  "High Speed - UHD with Ethernet-cable"). Didn't change anything, unfortunately. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I"m sorry... you may want to try with Sony service
mr.hertzberg
Explorer

ok - I'll do that. Thanks for you help 😃

FraserP123
Explorer

Just to clarify...

I have:-

KD-55X8005C TV
HT-XT3 Sound Base
BDP-s7200 Blu Ray Disk Player

Also have Virgin Tivo box for the tv input.

At present, the TV is connected via HDMI4 /ARC to the Soundbase HDMI1
Tivo to Soundbase HDMI 1
Blu Ray to the Soundbase HDMI 2

BTW, all kit fully updated as of 12th Dec 2015

There is a noticable sync issue.  The only time there is not a sync issue is if I take the soundbase out of the loop.

Seems that the XT3 isnt compatable.

Its not the only issue though...any of the apps or links (like BBC iPlayer, Netflix etc ) on the first screen will not play though the soundbase only through the TV speakers .

So it appears there is no point in having the Sony HT-XT3 soundbase!  £300 of useless plastic!

Does anyone have a solution?

mr.hertzberg
Explorer

So, FraserP123 - how much lag do you have? In the test I have linked to before, there is a frame counter (the lowest number - seems like there is 30 frames in a round..) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szoOsG9137U

For me the worst I had was like 2:30 hours - which is appr 4-5 frames, the best is almost on time, like one o'clock. My pc speakers are right on time, so is the tv speakers. 

What if you run everthin through the TV and uses analog? For me that eliminates the sync issue. 

For me rightnow - the sync lag is so minor I might just live with it, but it really bugs me knowing that it might drift off.. Otherwise such a great piece of gear. 

Five minute sync test movie. Extremely exciting. You'll never guess how this one ends!
FraserP123
Explorer

Any lag when using the 'correct' connection mode is not acceptable.  So, unless it can be resolved, one or both items are going to be returned.  I was hoping that 'I' had done something wrong, either in a connection or a setting but, I now do not believe that is the case.

I have tried the fibre link, and if you do have both outputs running (TV speaker and Soundbox) you can hear the echo and it fades in and out as the syncs then fails.  I could have done the same on my previous , 5 year old TV.

There also appears to be other communication issues between the devices.  Bravia synce, auto power off, using one remote also do n ot function with the kit I have.

These are both resonably new Sony products and do not work together at present.  Well, not in my installation.  I am having one more try with Sony and then a decision is to be made.

Can anyone recommend an alternative sound base, sound box that does not have such issues?

[edited for clarity]

mr.hertzberg
Explorer

I too totally agree that this is unacceptable.Mysteriously my lag seems to have almost dissapeard, and is presently at an acceptable level - just a very very slight ecco when I run the XT3 and the headphones at the same time. So if it stays like this I'll keep it. I have no idea what happened - if my son hadn't been there to also see the lag I would have started to doubt my sanity, haha.

There are four ways to digitally connect the tv and the xt3as far as I know:

1) Optical (source inputs to the tv)

2) HDMI ARC  (source inputs to the tv)

3) HDMI ARC  (source inputs to the XT3)

4) HDMI inputs to the XT3 + Optical - put the HDMI from the XT3 to a non-arc port on the TV

Things to try - You might try to fiddle with the audio settings?

"...you can hear the echo and it fades in and out as the syncs then fails"

- does this mean that the sync/lag varies - is drifting?

Other soundbars I have tried and returned - but they are still good:

Canton DM50 and Geneva Cinema (I wrote a copmarison here https://www.avforums.com/threads/canton-dm50-soundbase-review.1870193/page-7#post-22887102) 

I prefer the Sony's sound, though. The Geneva would have stayed if it was not for the birght constant LED-indicator that annoyed me when watching tv in the dark, and its lack of (ironically) the option to add extra audio-lag - I thought the XT3  and might fulfill my needs better - otherwise I'd kept the Geneva. The Canton sounded great , ut was a bit narrow (left-right-stereo-wise) and voices were not clear enough on low levels for me. The new DM55 and DM75 have a clear voice fucntion- though. 

FraserP123
Explorer

The lag issue, for me anyway, appears to be resolved!

Spoke with Sony support this afternoon, had to take time off work, due to their hours.

In my case the sound is actually before\ahead of the picture.  I explained this to the support engineer.

The usual power off on advice came first.

Then a full reset of both the Soundbase and the TV

I was then pointed at a option on the soundbase that I was not aware of.  Previously, I had only changed settings via  the Home, Setup menu's. However, there is another button to the right of the Home button, named options.  this brings up 4 additional options :  

AV SYNC

Sound Field

Night

Voice

The AV Sync allows you to adjust the sound by up to 300ms.  I had seen AV Sync referred to in regards to other Soundbars but could not locate this in the Soundbase Setup menu. Nor was I pointed at this in my previous call with Sony.

However, since I have adjusted this up, the sound and picture are in sync !  If this changes, I will update this thread.

mr.hertzberg
Explorer

That's great news - happy it worked out for you. It is such a nice product - and the av-sync function is very handy - when the audio is ahead the picture. Unfortunatly there is no way to do it the other way around.

Still puzzles me how the XT3 manages to - in some cases - delay the audio with the av sync set to 0... I have seen others report on this - that the audio is ahead of the picture. Some have had issuse with the sync being ahead of the picture and worsening as time goes. 

But, as mentioned - seems like I am almost ok too - for now.

Edit: There is a very tin lag. It is bothering me sometimes, trying to communicate with Sony Support. I really think this should be a non-issue on a product like this..

I'll report back to this thread if something changes, too 😃 

rob_cart
Explorer

anyone still having issues with this ? I'm having some major problems of lates and the lipsync app setting just doesn't do what i need it to do. Mine will start off ok and then progressivly get worse it now seems to be within minutes instead of hours so altering the sync just wont work as its not a constant thing.

I've logged a job with sony tonight to see what they say but i'm fuming ive paid so much for somthing and its just plain useless!

Any help much appreciated,

I've tried all types of wiring setups as listed in this thread but no joy.