Join now - be part of our community!

Content buffering despite high speed connection.

profile.country.en_GB.title
gb2012
Visitor

Content buffering despite high speed connection.

I've a BDP-S370 which seems to be randomly stalling on playback of web content, particularly iPlayer.  Interestingly cBeebies programmes seem to be unaffected and BBC 2 seems to have the most issues but this may just be a red herring.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I'm with ISP Zen.

Message was edited by: Catmambo

133 REPLIES 133
skywalker83
Visitor

I also have problems with BBC iPlayer on my BDP-S370, it doesn't seem to buffer far enough in front and has to keep stopping to load, this isn't the case when I watch on my PC. My ISP is BT.

gb2012
Visitor

Same here, PC and iPhone work perfectly and for about 50% of the programmes the Sony S370 works fine with iPlayer.  The other 50% suffer buffering issues where the unit struggles to keep up with the playing programme.

Sony's after sales support line were worse than useless blaming it on a bandwidth issue with my broadband connection. 

Let me know if you find a work around as it's immensely irritating and making me think Apple TV may be the way forward.

renatoturriani
Visitor

same problem with stalling on i player but no problems so far streaming films via lovefilm or qriocity                    my kit is the bdv-e370

Message was edited by: renatoturriani

skaterbuoy
Visitor

Hi,

Although I do not have a  BDP-S370, I have an SMP 100, and I get exactly the same issue with BBC iPlayer streaming and buffering.

I also have a good ISP, ie BE with a download of 13mb.

Although I don't have a fix, the more people that report the issues, the more chance Sony will take notice, and fix it in the next firmware upadte, I hope!

Cheers

malbank
Visitor

Yes.  Same here but on a BDP-S570.  

Nice to hear that Lovefilm not affected as I have been wondering whether to sign up or not.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi all

Thanks for flagging

Can you summarise

• ISP
  • Connection speed when this occuring (via your PC at www.speedtest.net)
  • Only iPlayer or other channels also
  • Firmware version

So we can try and identify where the fault lies.

Thanks

gb2012
Visitor

ISP = Zen

Connection speed = 7.6 megabit

iPlayer and the one occasion I had a look at blip.tv had the same problem

Firmware is the latest firmware from the auto update feature

Also iPlayer issue occurs in both HD and non-HD format, it seems to be more programme related than anything else.  By that I mean 1 programme will work fine the other 1 won't.

simonmar
Visitor

• ISP = Virgin Media
  • Connection speed (speedtest.net): 9.8Mb
  • Only iPlayer or other channels also
  • Firmware version = M03.695

Here's what the bandwidth graph on my router looks like when the problem happens:

Screenshot.png

Notice it's playing fine, with occasional spikes of 7-10Mb, but at some point the bandwidth drops right down and starts getting erratic, averaging around 1Mb/s.  This was an HD program, but it also happens with SD (although it takes longer before it happens with SD).  I don't see this when using iplayer on my laptop.

simonmar
Visitor

This appears to be not just iplayer.  Here's a graph I just captured from a LoveFilm HD trailer:

Screenshot-1.png