Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting BDV-E490 Home Theatre System to Bravia KDL40EX403

profile.country.en_GB.title
RED_BARRON
Visitor

Connecting BDV-E490 Home Theatre System to Bravia KDL40EX403

Hi, I have just purchased a BDV-E490 Blue-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre system and am trying to play it through a Bravia KDL-40EX403 television. I am using an HDMI cable from the DVD into the HDMI-ARC plug on the back of the TV. I have managed to get sound through the surround sound system but am unable to see any picture on the TV. I have also tried one of the other HDMI ports along with a digital optical cord just in case there is a fault in the HDMI-ARC port. Still no picture. I make sure the correct source is selected on the menu each time.

I have tried the DVD player and HDMI cable on a smaller TV to check both were working and they work perfectly on a smaller Sharp TV.

Despite all attempts all that ever appears on the Bravia TV screen is " HDMI1 Player1 (BD System) ".

The surround sound, sounds super if only we could see the picture to go with it!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Message was edited by: RED_BARRON

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
RED_BARRON
Visitor

Update.

I spoke to the SONY telephone support service on Friday. The young lady (In Egypt) was very helpful.

Guided me through everything I had already done apart from the factory reset which she asked me to do.

This still did not resolve the problem. The young lady, who had already taken my contact details, put me on hold while she spoke to a colleague.

By this time I had been on the phone for 28 minutes and the helpline was due to close. After a couple of minutes the phone went dead! I thought perhapa there was a 30 minute talktime limit or the phone lines had been closed down bang on time.

About a minute later the young lady called me back and apologised as the line had gone dead at her end too.

She has no idea what is wrong, it might be a manufacturing fault when the TV was being made. She said she would arrange for a SONY engineer to come and look at the TV.

As I live in a small village in the Highlands of Scotland the nearest engineer is probably about 60 miles away! The TV is now 2 years old and out of warranty so I will have to pay for the engineers visit.

The young lady from the support service is supposed to be calling back to let me know which Sony engineer, from where and when, is coming to look at the TV. If they are from too far away I will tell them not to bother and call our local TV repair man, who only lives 20 miles away, to come and have a look.

I cannot fault the service I have received from the SONY helpdesk so far, very polite and very easy to understand.

We have been playing DVD's through the new system and watching it on a 32" SHARP TV. I have to say the surround system is excellent. Two years ago my wife complained that the new 40" SONY was too big and she did not like it! Now she is moaning that the 32" is too small and can't wait to get the larger SONY working again!