Join now - be part of our community!

Can I use the blu ray player outside the UK?

profile.country.en_GB.title
ramlin
Visitor

Can I use the blu ray player outside the UK?

Hi. I have a bdp s-590. I'm going to be in the US for a couple of months and thought I should take my blu ray player with me. I will be staying in a house with some other Brits. I appreciate that the TV's in the US are based on a different sytem to the UK - the question I have is what will happen if I try to use the BBC iplayer on the blu ray in the US - will it work? I assume it won't since I'll be outside the UK but could I use the US equivalent instead - for example amazon prime (I would take a month trial subscription). According to the amazon web site the bdp s-590 is supported but it isn't on my blu -ray player. Can I download it from sony when I go to the US via a firm ware update?

5 REPLIES 5
Bravia55HX

Hi,

im afraid the short answer is no.

ramlin
Visitor

Thanks for letting me know - although it's not the best of news.

Bravia55HX

i may not be 100% with that though, i would wait and see if someone else has something to offer you. 

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Services are geo-dependent, thus we ship the same Blu-ray players across multiple EU territories, and the service list is defined when they are conneted to the Internet ( or post factory reset). So no reason as far as I know why this wouldn't be the same in the US too. There *might* be the odd exception, but nothing that I'm immediately aware of. May well be implications with US using a lower voltage than the UK as well and I can't advise on that one. But from a purely IP point of view, a factory reset when you get out there, connect up and it should sync locally.

Hope this helps

ramlin
Visitor

Catmambo, thank you for your advice. I intend to buy from Boots an adapter that will deal with the change in current. When I come back to the UK I assume I need to do another factory reset and that's it? Excellent. May I also one more question - although it's unrelated - I have tried to get into the opera store from the blu ray player but it's always blank - is there a reason for this?