Join now - be part of our community!

Fair exchange?

profile.country.GB.title
Dollyg
Explorer

Fair exchange?

Hi there. I have an XR 65A75KU tv.  It’s developed a fault, it’s with its warranty and sony are going to replace it.

they are offering me XR 65X90L.

is this a fair exchange.

my existing tv is OLED, and the replacement is an LED.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hey @Dollyg 

From my perspective, I can find this as an upgrade.

The XR-65A75K is a 2022 entry-level OLED TV, but the XR-65X90L is a 2023 high-end Full-Array LED TV.

You can try making a quick one-to-one comparison here: https://www.sony.co.uk/bravia/compare?cpint=gwx-all-televisions

profile.country.GB.title
Dollyg
Explorer

Hi there. Thanks for responding. I did look at the comparison but didn’t know what most of it meant to be honest.

The stand-out difference for me was that we paid a premium (as much as we could afford) for an OLED tv to get the best picture quality, but we are being offered and LED in return. The tv being offered now is also considerably cheaper than the one we purchased a year ago. 
I see the one in offer is ‘full array’ LED.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

What fault did the TV develop to necessitate it being replaced?

Did you buy this TV direct from Sony, if not you should contact the place you bought it from and see what their policy is.

If you did buy it direct from Sony I would argue that you want a like for like replacement, i.e. oLED for oLED.

If they are not prepared to do that then ask them if they are willing to reimburse you for the difference in price of the Full Array LED to that of the oLED.

In the meantime I would recommend going to your nearest Citizens Advice centre to see what your rights are.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk 

profile.country.GB.title
Dollyg
Explorer

Hi there,

The TV cuts out for no obvious reason. It then immediately restores itself without Mrs having to do anything.
There is no pattern to the cut outs, and it happens maybe 7 x per evening.

I’m already in touch with Sony who sent an engineer to repair it. I was then offered a replacement - an LED TV as a replacement for my oLED. The issue fir me is I’m just not savvy enough to know if what they are offering is actually a fair swap.

I’m not really looking for a partial refund - I just want the best tv that is at least equivalent (in terms of image and retail cost) that I can get.

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

I don't think it is a fair swap. If you have paid the premium price for an oLED TV then the least you should expect is

a like for like replacement. A full array LED panel is not as good as an oLED.

If there is quite a disparity in the price you paid for the oLED TV and the full array LED then I would question that

after all your TV is only a year old.

Have you asked Sony why they are offering you a cheaper lower spec TV to the one it replaces.

As I say try Citizens Advice to ascertain your rights.

profile.country.GB.title
Dollyg
Explorer

Hi Dave,

I did reply a minute ago to you but my reply seems to have disappeared 

anyway I agree with your latest post. I’ve queried with Sony why I’m not being offered an oled tv and I’d hope for a response tomorrow 

I will update if/when this is resolved.

profile.country.GB.title
Dollyg
Explorer

Update :

Sony have now offered to exchange the faulty tv with the same model - so I’m happy enough with that and I’ve accepted that offer.

no explanations were offered by Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

That's a lot better getting a like for like replacement costing the same as what you paid originally. Did you ask them what the warranty they are offering with this replacement TV?

Sometimes with replacement TVs they only offer a warranty with a reduced time period.

profile.country.GB.title
Dollyg
Explorer

I didn’t know that and didn’t ask so I will now - thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone