Join now - be part of our community!

A personal appraisal of the PRS T1.......

profile.country.en_GB.title
carpetmojo

A personal appraisal of the PRS T1.......

I thought I'd give my thoughts on the T1, now I've got the hang of (most!) things.

As some will know, I'm not exactly backward in speaking up if I find something which seems, to me, worth complaining about, and haven't hesitated to “express my Opinions” !  So, here goes....

I'm a committed 350 (what a little marvel of engineering) and 650 (ditto but bigger!) ereader, and will always hang on to them – they were a superb merger of build and looks, and, for me anyway, performance.

I went Sony after comparing them to the main opposition, the kindle, which I felt just didn't hack it in comparison – I considered the lack of wifi a facility I didn't need, and  a rather “plasticy”. I was happy to pay more for something I enjoyed holding ! Also the big epub and Library advantages.

Now I'm using a T1, and it has tugged at my x50 feelings !

First, looks.

Well, the idea was obviously to face up to the kindle, and it does the job - and at last is comparable price-wise. It doesn't look like a cheaper device, and I reckon it still maintains a bit of class. The one I have is black, and it looks almost as if Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers would have one as they twirled !

It's incredibly light – I found that a bit disconcerting at first, but soon came to appreciate it – the button controls are very quick and easy, very fast, and the touch-screen functions are really terrific. The only thing I have a bit of trouble with is the Browser function, I'm not too good at “pinching” and find the stylus easier. But, I do find the grey-scale difficult to read in some lights, especially at lower light levels, and while enlarging helps, it's a bit of a chore.

I manage it better in landscape, but I do think the scale wants looking at  please – especially because, as far as I'm aware, you can't adjust the view like you can with book text, which would solve the problem.

('Course, I wear reading glasses which don't help.......)

The battery 'life' is a revelation after the 650 - which was good anyway. I mean, I'm on 3 weeks plus and still going ! Brilliant, even with online use. And the wall charger from my 650 does a great job –  a charger is a very worth-while accessory, cuts out a lot of hassle, and gives a better charge, in my experience.

Library capacity is immense of course, and the card slot a big bonus.

Now, for someone who didn't want wifi, I have to confess, I'm coming round to

the idea ..….

I've got a decent wifi connection, a couple of handy hot-spots – and there's always the Library – or MacDonalds ! (Don't knock it...) But, generally, remember all that lying on the beach loading books “wifily” is sheer advertising fiction, unless you're lucky, or have paid the very close beach-side hotel for their password, or got it in the bill. That applies to all wifi, of course, not just the T1.

AND, I ( he who is Mr. Tech-Dunce himself ) have recently made my first wifi purchase - Wow – I impressed myself. Once I got a Adobe link to the T1, all was well. I know some owners have trouble getting things sorted, but honestly, if I can do it, anyone can. I've successfully used Waterstones & W.H.Smiths.

[Don't do what I did, and take days before realising the “DataTransfer Mode” was kind of useful ! )

I confess that most of my books will still come via PC, and I'm a great Calibre fan,  which now has a T1 configuration, which works brilliantly with the T1, but I can see the point of wifi – especially if the competition has it !  I'm a MobileRead member, and I've downloaded free books from their Library, as well as Gutenberg Project and Smashwords without any problem.

It is a pity the Reader Store is taking so long to come, but I've happily managed without.

I have update/fix 1.1.04, the latest one from the Support pages.

As far as all the bugs - freezing, flicker, etc,, - I'm almost ashamed to admit I've had no problems at all,...  You feel a bit left out of things, really – but am very glad I was..... boringly efficient suits me down to the ground......

I think that's about it, sorry I've gone on rather, but I hope it's of interest to someone !

Oh, forgot – I'm sorry Sony, but I think the stylus business is a real no-no – there must have been some stage in design/manufacturing process when someone could have said  “hang on, where's the stylus go?”

The 3/650 had a very elegant solution, and I wish,I wish, I wish.......

So, for me, it's the browser grey-scale so I can read it, and some sort of anchor or home for my (4th) stylus, and things would be pretty much perfect.....

6 REPLIES 6
Karenesque5
New

I agree with you.  I was unimpressed with the T1 when I first got it and not just because I wanted the red one and had to settle for the black one.  It was plastic and didn't feel good in the hand......Don't get me started on the stylus (Someone spent good money on a college education to come up with that?!)  I had both the 650 and the 350. I fell in love with my 350. I can't explain why, it just felt good.  I had not been able to read for years, unless I could get large print, or audio books, so being able to buy books again was fantastic....and my goodness, did I buy them!  I had many an argument with the 'literary Luddites' about killing off the publishing industry, with my little silver lovely. 

I think my T1 came into its own when my local library started providing e book lending.  Once set up, it meant I could download a library book, or 4, wirelessly.  I hate the reader software, so the fact I can buy a book, download and read it, without fighting with the software, is great.  I have managed to successfully buy from Waterstones and Kobo, without connecting to the computer.  Hopefully, when we finally get the Reader Store in the UK, I'll buy from there too.

Is the T1 as good as my 350......no, but for downloading books, it is more convenient.  Bring out a 350 with wifi and I will buy it.  Metal casing and a decent stylus is a must though.  The T1 is still miles better than its competition.  I have had both a Kindle and a Kobo and I still prefer my Sony.

PS  Sony get your distribution sorted out.  Bring out some decent software for your hardware and for goodness sake open your store.

carpetmojo

Hello Karen - I think we've just become the Sony Owners Club ! :cool:

thomasn75
Visitor

hi

the t1 is my first ereader and i love it. i agree that lending from the library is a killer feature and it works so smoothly. Personally i wont be annotating or highlighting so I dont really need the stylus - i think it is still in the box.

carpetmojo - there is a setting in the browser settings on the t1 where you can set the default zoom level. I dont know if that is what you are looking for?

I have been banging on about my reader to the extend my wife has now bought one and 2 other people I know. I will send my invoice to sony for my commision :slight_smile:

thomas

carpetmojo

Aha ! I'll see if I can find it - at least it should make it bigger for those of us optically challenged. I'll have a bash tomorrow, thanks thomas.

No harm sending the invoice, although the rate won't be enough to get to Barbados ! :neutral:

Come to think of it, I know a couple who are getting them for Chistmas presents for family after seeing mine.

Probably, knowing them, for each other.........

And another who said they would definitely buy a T1 - after trying my 650 !

That doesn't quite compute somehow, but never mind...:smileyconfused:

Karenesque5
New

It certainly seems like it carpetmojo.  As I said in a previous thread, I'm the Goldilocks of the E Reader, I'm looking for one that's, 'just right.'  So far, Sony 3  vs  Others 2.  The 650 and 350 for their build and the T1 for its ease of use.  The Kindle just didn't do it for me and the Kobo was useless, though things may have improved with the latest models. 

My aassessment may not be as indepth, but I just want something I can understand and use.  Sony fits the bill.

carpetmojo

thomas - great, that is better, thanks for that.

The grey scale still could be a lot better, but bumping the size up like that, rather than via pinching, is an improvement.  :slight_smile: