Join now - be part of our community!

Viewing videos saved on portable hard drive

profile.country.GB.title
antollamh
New

Viewing videos saved on portable hard drive

I have a 2011 camcorder and HD-PG5 portable external drive as accessory.  It is easy to save videos from the camcorder, but I don't know how to recover saved videos.  If I plug in the HD to a computer, I can see jpg's representing the videos, but no videos.  What is the format in which they are stored, and how do I recover them?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Antollamh,

Welcome to the community.

What is the model number of your camcorder? There's some information about exporting pictures and video using Playmemories Home here, that may help. Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
antollamh
New

Play memory home allowed me to see MTS files, but there was no export button, and the convert to mp4 and save gave an error message asking me to register the device, but no option to do that!

At least I know the files are MTS, but not viewable on a Mac

profile.country.GB.title
antollamh
New

This is what I get:

No export optionNo export optionCannot use convert to MP4 and SaveCannot use convert to MP4 and Save

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @antollamh,

well, as far as I know, for playing back MTS files on a MAC you need an extra application like VLC or so, but as I'm not working with MACs I'm not a 100% sure.

I believe to remember that some MAC user said that you need to import those MTS files by means of iMovie or by some other software to convert them to MP4.

Additionally I've found this video by chance, explaining how to actually find the video files when using a MAC.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)