Join now - be part of our community!

Video quality & media transfer

profile.country.en_LT.title
sauroman
Visitor

Video quality & media transfer

Does video quality depend on media transfer speed. Dcr110e maximum quality is 9mbps. I currently use minidvd 2x media(2.770 MB/s). Does that mean that quality is automatically lowered?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi sauroman :slight_smile:

The short answer is no.

Birate has a lot to do with video quality, but you shouldn't confuse bitrates with data transfer rates. While 9Mbps is your camera's maximum bitrate, media rated at '2x' refers to the maximum data transfer speed, ie the speed at which data can be written to the miniDVD. For real-time video recording this has to be a minimum of 1x, so 2x should be perfectly adequate.

Maybe worth pointing out that one byte = 8 bits. Bitrates are quoted in megabits (Mb) per second, or Mbps, while transfer rates are in megabytes (MB) per-second – or MB/s – so even if this were a factor, 2x-rated media is capable of recording data at a speed well in excess of the camera's maximum bitrate.

Hope that clears things up to some extent.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.en_LT.title
sauroman
Visitor

Ok, so this camcorder max resolution is 1024x576p? I saw some videos 720p on youtube made by this camcorder.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

I'm not sure what you're aksing here :thinking:

The 110e is an SD (576p) camera. There's nothing to stop people making 720p movies from SD videos by upscaling them, but the quality will remain the same. It won't turn SD into HD.

Hope that's of some help.

Mick