Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HC DCR-HC18 Importing using PMB

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
brawlzzz
Visitor

Sony HC DCR-HC18 Importing using PMB

Hey guys,

I have the Sony Handycam DCR-HC18 camcorder. It is around 5-6 years old.

I have Windows 7, I installed the PMB software but I cannot get the camcorder to connect to my device. First off it does not install the drivers. I have the camcorder to USB wire but I am seeing on the forums people having to purchase a firewire cable if I am correct? the PMB also does not recognise the camcorder while I have put it in USB streaming mode...

Please somebody help! The tapes contain videos that are priceless :slight_frown:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello :slight_smile:

Basically, if it is a desktop PC, you will need a PCI card.

If it is a laptop with the necessary expansion port, you will need a PCMCIA card.

Hope you both transfer your videos ok.

Simon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
albeard56
Visitor

Hi,

Sounds like you have the same problem as me (i have dcr-trv265e).

From what I can gather we need a firewire, ilink (ilink is sony's version of firewire) as the usb doesnt work but my next problem is that my laptop has no port for the firewire so i have just purchased this set from amazon (has this card that i hope i can insert in my mmc/sd port then the firewire into that) and hope it will work. If you go to my thread (just below yours) the link is there!! Not too costly either

Hope this helps and you can understand it!!

brawlzzz
Visitor

Yup thats the problem but I have a computer and a desktop, its easy for me. I just ordered a Firewire PCI card for the Firewire ports and the wire itself for £10.

Answering your problem, does your laptop have a card slot, not talking about memory cards. If you have an older laptop you may have a network card, in this case you can buy a firewire expansion.

btw thanks for the reply

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello :slight_smile:

Basically, if it is a desktop PC, you will need a PCI card.

If it is a laptop with the necessary expansion port, you will need a PCMCIA card.

Hope you both transfer your videos ok.

Simon