Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with recording 4K on sd card

profile.country.GB.title
Milauski
Explorer

Problem with recording 4K on sd card

I just bought an FDR-AX33. I had micro sd card(with adapter) before - it's Samsung PRO 64GB microSDXC (https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/samsung-pro-64gb-micro-sdxc-memory-card/).

Camera refuse to record in 4K with the highest quality(100Mbps) - it says "Cannot record. Please use UHS-I U3 compatible memory card"

Problem is that my card should be good enought, it is UHS-I and U3. Minimal writing speed is 30MB/s so its still about 2 times more than needed, 100Mbps it is only 12,5MB/s, right?

Any ideas what I can do? Beside buying new card :wink: 

Thanks for help

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Have you tried formatting the card?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
Milauski
Explorer

Yeah, I tried to format by using camera, nothing get changed 😞

profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Hi Milauski .

I use this SDXC (https://www.kingston.com/en/flash/sd_cards/sdr) for my FDR-AX33 and have no issues.

Before you buy a new one, check the following things:

1) Be sure that your card uses the exFAT file system that allows recording large files.

2) There is a possibility that your card is a counterfeit.

3) Update the firmware on your camera.

Let us know what happened.

-John

profile.country.GB.title
MrDeanoss
Explorer

I would think that the issue is because the card you have is only a class 3 .. basically the card cannot write the information quick enough when you are recording.  Get a class 10 card. You can tell this by the number 10 encapsulated in the letter C on the card or packaging. My camera won't record DV video on a class 2 card for the same reason...I put in a class 10 64gb card and it's perfect. Hope this helps. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi all,

please don't quote the "old" speed ratings (which still use "class") but go for the "new" so called "V"-rating which was introduced for video usage.

In this case get a card with a "V30" rating.

- Nic

profile.country.RO.title
AndyLupescu
Explorer

Hi,I got Sandisk extreme pro U3 class 10 and it also has a V30 mark on it,and it works perfect with 4k!

Also,plese test your card with H2testw to see if it's fake or not,but 100% you'll need a different card!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @AndyLupescu,

I agree - always test new cards to verify you received a genuine one.

For Sonys 4K camcorders all genuine V30 SDXC cards should work.

- Nic