Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX700 Hot Shoe

profile.country.GB.title
Chris1936
Explorer

FDR-AX700 Hot Shoe

Does anyone know if the Rollei 56F flash unit, with Sony Multi Interface Hot shoe, should fit (mechanically) to the FDR-AX700 camcorder's hot show and work or is there an extender needed and available to enable this?  I have tried but the knurled fastening ***** of the flash unit seems to prevent the contacts engaging and in the camcorder's 'Photo' mode I couldn't get a flash.  I also can't find any information on any configuration of the AX700 for using a flash with its multi interface hot shoe.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Chris,

We'll look into this and let you know what we find out.

Maybe some of our members can offer some advice too.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi Chris1936,

I'm not sure whether the Rollei 56F will fit. As far as I can see on the Sony website, only the (HVL-LE1 and HVL-LEIR1) are the models you can use with your camcorder.

Best wishes,

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
Chris1936
Explorer

Thank you, Ed, for your response.   I look forward to any additional information you may find as, so far, I have not had any other replies with a solution.  I recently bought the Rollei 53F flashgun with the expectation that, since it claimed compatibility with the Sony Multifunction hot shoe Interface, it would work!   I will be extremely disappointed if it doesn't or if Sony or a 3rd party supplier does not provide a low profile "extender" that clears the AX700 superstructure enough to enable this and probably other flash units and accessories to fit and operate satisfactorily.  I will check the forum regularly in the hope someone can offer a suitable solution.

Kind regards,

Chris1936.

profile.country.GB.title
Chris1936
Explorer

Thank you for your response, Vanilla.  As you may see from my response to Ed's reply to me, I will be very disappointed if a suitable solution can't be found!  I assumed (perhaps naively!) that the claim of compatibility would be universal!  I also have not found anything in the on-line Sony manual describing how to set up the AX700 camcorder to sync a flash unit via the hot shoe.  Maybe I have missed this source of information but if there is none that's another disappointment.  Even though it's primarily a camcorder and a good one and can take very good still photos, the use of a flash is extremely helpful in several situations and in the absence of a small built-in flash capability, being able to operate an external one effectivlely using the hot shoe becomes even more important and we are not all experts at the start with new toys to be able to "just figure it out intuitively!!"

Thank you again for your comment,

Kind regards,

Chris1936