Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-TRV480E no image on LCD or in viewfinder in playback mode?

profile.country.en_GB.title
tomgowans
Visitor

DCR-TRV480E no image on LCD or in viewfinder in playback mode?

It was working fine yesterday.  Today I notice there is no image on either the LCD screen or in the viewfinder during tape playback mode.  All the on screen controls are displayed and operate (I can scroll the menus etc).  In record mode, the LCD displays an image.  All I get in playback mode, apart from the on screen controls and indicators is a blue screen.  I also note the tape counter does not display elapsed and remaining time anymore, just a row of dashes.

I have tried pressing the reset button but this has made no difference.

I am stuck out in Angola so there is nowhere for me to go for help. Knowing me I have probably pressed the wrong button or something (I am not familiar with the camera) so I am really hoping someone can help me solve this.

Best regards

Tom

3 REPLIES 3
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Tom - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Have you tried a different tape in the camera (just to eliminate this possibility)?

Thanks,

Simon

tomgowans
Visitor

Hi Simon,

Yes, I tried several tapes both digital and Hi8 (remembering to change the playback mode).  It is almost as if the head is not reading the tape.  The camera loads and ejects the tapes properly and the camera recognises a tape with write protection and also recognises when the tape is about to run out but it does not show time elapsed or, sadly, an image.

I was usinng it happily one day and when I came to use it the next day, I encountered this problem.  I am really quite bewildered by it.

Regards

Tom

Mick2011
New

Hi Tom

My guess would be a head alignment problem. If it was just dirty heads you'd still get a tape count, and it's highly unlikely it would just suddenly stop working due to a build-up of crud.

Mis-alignment can be due to a number of things. The mechanism can become worn over time, such that an inserted tape will not tighten correctly for playback. Often playback can be initiated only immediately after recording, as the 'record' function re-aligns the heads correctly for playback; recording for a moment pulls everything tight again and playback is then possible.

If that doesn't work, and if you're really stuck for a repair service, try gently squeezing the tape door shut while in playback mode, or even tapping/knocking the camera during playback. I'm not going to suggest you do this with any real force, but I have heard of DV tape mechanisms suddenly 'fixing themselves' after a good wallop! At your own risk, needless to say...

Ultimately, it could be a microprocessor malfunction, which is obviously much harder to diagnose but the only other real possibility. In any event, a visit to a repair shop would be the only permanent fix.

Good luck!

Mick