Join now - be part of our community!

Cant download from old Handycam to Mac?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
steve-price
Visitor

Cant download from old Handycam to Mac?

Trying unsucessfully to download from Sony Digital Camera Recorder DCR-PC1103 (Sony Handycam) which uses Sony Mini Digital Video Cassettes (tapes) to new Applemac OS 10.6.4. Connected the cable OK and set the Handycam but only some stills downloaded but not the main movie on the tape casette.

It occurs to me that the tape cassettes maybe old tech. and classed as analogue despite the word 'Digital' in the Handycam name and therefore not possible to download. I bought the Hanycam 9yrs ago.

Do I need to convert the tape to a digital file some other way before being able to use it on the Mac? Or am I missing something.

Thanks for your help.

Steve Price

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve-price
Visitor

Hi,

I have solved the problem.

Problem: Camcorder is good but nine years old - see spec in first post. The supplied USB cable is only capable of downloading the movies from the supplied memory stick which has a tiny memory and is not capable of recording the main movie which is recorded on a tape casette. Also my iMac, apart from a USB port, only has a Firewire 800 port, no Firewire 400 port.

Solution: A Firewire 800 (Mac end) to Firewire 400 (camcorder end) Mini Cable. See pic. I bought this at my local Apple store. It was not available through my Sony store, PC World or John Lewis (who are also big on Macs), nor on Apples online Store. I even rang the online Apple Store and they confirmed it was not available onl line. Price £19.95.

Outcome: worked perfectly.

Hope this helps someone else.

Regards,

Steve Price

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_BG.title
aisthima
Visitor

You need to use an i.Link connection and a capturing software as iMovie for example:

When the camcorder is connected via i.Link to a computer it cannot be seen in the drives list. For transferring the videos pls try this:

1. Turn on the camcorder in Play/ Edit mode
  2. Open iMovie
  3. Start playing the tape
  4. Start capturing in iMovie.

Hope this will help.

steve-price
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have iMovie but what is i.Link.

Thanks.

Steve Price

profile.country.en_BG.title
aisthima
Visitor
steve-price
Visitor

Hi aisthima,

Re: http://www.lygotech.com/products/PS2%20i-LINK%20CABLE.jpg

Thanks for the link. This cable looks right to fit the handycam at one end but it does not have a suitable connector for a Mac at the other end.

Cheers,

Steve Price

turnell
New

Steve have you solved your problem?

Many people ask for help but never reply regards if matter is fixed.

I would strongly recommend you read up on how to transfer and what connection is what. The new version has USB instead of Firewire as your camcorder has Firewire connection.

steve-price
Visitor

Hi,

I have solved the problem.

Problem: Camcorder is good but nine years old - see spec in first post. The supplied USB cable is only capable of downloading the movies from the supplied memory stick which has a tiny memory and is not capable of recording the main movie which is recorded on a tape casette. Also my iMac, apart from a USB port, only has a Firewire 800 port, no Firewire 400 port.

Solution: A Firewire 800 (Mac end) to Firewire 400 (camcorder end) Mini Cable. See pic. I bought this at my local Apple store. It was not available through my Sony store, PC World or John Lewis (who are also big on Macs), nor on Apples online Store. I even rang the online Apple Store and they confirmed it was not available onl line. Price £19.95.

Outcome: worked perfectly.

Hope this helps someone else.

Regards,

Steve Price