Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube HDR... finally

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

YouTube HDR... finally

YouTube HDR content is finally available!

You will find a playlist here. However, these clips will be played as SDR on Sonys for now.

With youtube-dl you can find vp9.2 encodings for those clips:

330          webm       256x144    144p60  156k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 2.38MiB
331          webm       426x240    240p60  256k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 3.87MiB
332          webm       640x360    360p60  485k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 7.35MiB
333          webm       854x480    480p60  909k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 13.83MiB
334          webm       1280x720   720p60 1991k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 28.18MiB
335          webm       1920x1080  1080p60 3201k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 49.70MiB
336          webm       2560x1440  1440p60 11166k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 170.23MiB
337          webm       3840x2160  2160p60 20122k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 335.45MiB

Those are webm however which the native Video app won't play.

We will see whether we will get support for it soon, even for the early 2016 models with the old MediaTek SoC from last year. At least Sony promised that back at CES:

Spoiler
YouTube will also start streaming in HDR quality later this year, using a new VP9-Profile 2 codec that brings HDR support to Google’s VP9 video format. Sony’s Motoi Kawamura, Head of TV Product Planning for Sony Europe, confirmed to FlatpanelsHD that the 2016 models will support VP9-Profile 2 and be capable of streaming YouTube in HDR. We saw a demo at CES and it looked very good.

Source

401 REPLIES 401
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

This thread is a bit old but it is referenced in the FAQ, so..

I've read the whole thread and did some tests myself. I have a KD-49XD8099 television. With Plex, bandwidth problem apart (is it true that my television has a 100Mbps ethernet port? It keeps buffering in 4K/HDR!) it just works wonder. The Plex client doesn't say that it is an HDR stream, but checking in the image settings is shows the HDR symbol.

Then, to be honest, in YouTube forcing manually the HDR setting the same video (Sony's Camp) to me looks identical.

Regarding the SoC.. My TV has a MT5891 and it is a lag fest. Even raising the volume!! I just did a full reset yesterday because it kept rebooting (apparently it didn't like Ad Guard using a VPN). Same thing. Lag, lag, and lag again. Am I doomed?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I am afraid your posting has nothing to do with YouTube HDR. Sony Camp on YouTube is 4K only AFAIK (8-bit SDR).

Sony might apply some fake HDR processing for 4K content.

As for streaming issues, you might want to read here.

You are indeed doomed...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Well, it had to do with YouTube because I was too under the impression that forcing the HDR the video looked like in Plex. I mean, I checked the colors of the ananas, fire and other things. And the colour didn't look out of place like they did in some SDR video I tested. But I see you;re right, the version of The Camp I used in YouTube isn't even HDR indeed. Placebo effect at this point (sorry).

Regarding the SoC, RAM and ethernet.. It's simply a shame. 100 Mbps in 2016? 2GB of RAM in a television? Not to mention a CPU that according to Geekbench 4 (just checked now) is barely more powerful than my old Xperia M2 with SD 400 at 32 bits. Unbelievable.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Now it is confirmed that the spring 2016 models (XD85/XD93/XD94) won't receive YouTube HDR support due to a lack of VP9-profile 2 decoding in the hardware, see here.

Please also take the announcement that Sony will put Nougat on all Android TV models, also those from 2015, with a grain of salt. There is nothing to celebrate as of yet. Sony is good at promising stuff but not so good at delivering, as we are still missing the Marshmallow update which Sony promised us to be on the spring 2016 models from the beginning, so about a year ago...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Please tell me that I am doing something wrong, because after upgrading my XD8099 to Android 7.0 I am not seeing any HDR video in YouTube.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

There has been no info so far, whether the YouTube player on Sony can actually do it already. It is a testament to where Sony stands today. Google has been demoing YouTube HDR together with Samsung who are not even using Google's OS...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

So, could it be  that vp9.2 is there but.. the YouTube video isn't updated to support it?! Also because it doesn't make any sense, I am watching the same identical video on my Mac and it goes 4K (obviously w/o HDR), while on my tv it goes up to 1080p@60fps top.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Jecht_Sin schrieb:

So, could it be  that vp9.2 is there but.. the YouTube video isn't updated to support it?!

Suppose so, yes.

Jecht_Sin schrieb:

while on my tv it goes up to 1080p@60fps top.

That's weird.

On Sony with Lollipop and Marshmallow, there has been the weird problem that the YouTube app would not go above 240p(!!!) for live streams (see for example Sky News). This is not fixed till this very day! I mean 240p... unwatchable...

YouTube is a Google app and we are using a Google OS. How lame is that such things take months and years to work properly?

Sony Android TV is easily the worst CE device I ever owned...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

So, any chance we can sideload an YouTube update supporting HDR  (I don't know.. From Nvidia Shield?)? Unless of coure Nvidia Shield is on 7.1.1 (I don;t know) and that YouTube app doesn't support 7.0. Which wouldn't surprise me at all, at this point.

About the resolution, it happens only with some videos. Some/many just play fine at 2160p. Although someone should explain me why the heck I have to often go to the resolution settings and select 2160p manually. Is it so hard for the geniuses at Google to put an option to always play a video at the highest resolution??

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

So I've checked.. It is an old version of YouTube!! Version 1.3.11 (see screenshot), more than 1 year old, as stated from apkmirror!

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube-for-android-tv-android-tv/youtube-for-android-tv-and...

This is ridiculous. Google upgrades an OS and they don't even bother to update one of its most meaningful apps!

Bravia_2017-06 01_12.37.28.png