Join now - be part of our community!

XG9505 sound problems since Android 9 update

profile.country.GB.title
arangast
Explorer

XG9505 sound problems since Android 9 update

Hello, I'm posting this here as well as contacting Sony support. Basically the Android 9 update has broken audio output on my XG9505. The issues are the same with two different soundbars (a Cambridge Audio, and Sony HT-Z9F). Before the update audio was 99% stable.

Symptoms since the update:

• Loss of sound using built in Netflix & YouTube. 50% of the time audio will not work when starting something. Sometimes it can be fixed by switching to another source and back again, but usually requires putting the TV into standby. One time I switched to TV speakers after it happened and there was no sound through them either. Amazon Prime appears unaffected.
  • Occasional loss of sound on devices connected via HDMI to the TV including a Sony bluray player and PS4 Pro. This can be 1 hour+ into use. Toggling to TV speakers and back usually fixes.
  • With "Digital Audio Out" set to "Auto 1", Broadcast (satellite) HD channels work, but if you switch from a HD to SD channel there will be no sound on any SD channels until you toggle to TV speakers and back or put into standby. "Auto 2" is working so far but is lower quality on stereo sources.
  • Also with "Auto 1" & "Auto 2" on switching to a HD channel the audio will drop out briefly after a few seconds. On BBC channels this is about the same time as the red button banner appears.

Things I've tried:

• Factory reset. For about 2 hours after the reset everything worked flawlessly, then all the problems suddenly returned.
  • Changing HDMI cables, and making sure they're "high speed".
  • Turning off e-ARC.
  • "Digital Audio Out" set to "PCM". Fixes broadcast TV problem like "Auto 2" but doesn't help other issues.

It's making it very difficult to use the TV now, especially for the non-techy family members. Can anyone advise on other things I can try?

On the old firmware I only experienced audio loss a handful of times in 6 months, is there a way to roll back to that?

There are multiple posts about the issue on various forums, but so far there doesn't seem to have been any official recognition from Sony?

As a last resort I could get a streaming stick to replace the apps, but everything was working great on Android 8 and I'd like to have the same experience, plus it is occasionally affecting attached devices too.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.LT.title
ValerijK
New

The same problem on my KD-65XF9005. After update every time I switch on it goes to "MUTE" mode. I use JBL soundbar. The only way to repair it, turn off or plug out AC.

profile.country.GB.title
arangast
Explorer

*UPDATE* I seem to have fixed the issues with broadcast TV, the problem was the "Sound mode sync" setting in the "Audio output" menu. As soon as I turned that off audio started working correctly on both HD and SD channels with no drops or cut outs in "Auto 1".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully some other community members have some tips for you. Please keep us informed about what Sony's support team advised you.

profile.country.GB.title
arangast
Explorer

Thank you, Sony support have acknowledged they are investigating the problem.

They suggested turning off "Pass through mode" in Audio Output then restarting, which has helped considerably with Netflix and Youtube. After several days use I've had only one audio drop out on Netflix which happened on an Atmos show after about 10 minutes (instead of at the start). It was fixed by toggling to TV speakers and back.

However, after a couple of days of broadcast TV working, it's developed occasional random drop outs again which last for about 1 second. We can go for hours then it might occur 5 times in 30 minutes. It's also affecting BBC iPlayer and more rarely on Amazon Prime. Netflix and devices connected to the TV HDMI appear unaffected.

profile.country.SE.title
Knurra12
Explorer

I don't have this problem with my 65XG9505. Running default sound settings with sound out to receiver via Hdmi. Also hdmi control works perfectly fine. 

msepp_
New

Just need to chime in that I have these same symptoms, but on a AG9. Bought a AG9 about two weeks back and immediately updated to the latest firmware which came with Android 9, so I have no knowledge how this TV behaved with the older Android. I've got the TV paired with a Sony STR-DN1060 amp, which I know is working, since everything is totally fine when I use my other Sony TV (that has Android 8).

I see issues with sometimes sound "skipping" (sound just disappears for a few frames), sometimes many times per minute, other times just once every fifteen minutes. This is most prevalent in Netflix and seems to be especially a problem with Dolby Vision content. I have found no solution that would help with this issue. Have tried factory reset and fiddling with all the eArc, A/V sync and pass-through options to no avail.

Also have to situations when sounds just completely disappear. Usually I need to actually turn the whole set off and on again to get sounds back. It's so frustrating and depressing that I've got a 3k worth of pretty picture but the sound issues are totally ruining the experience.

profile.country.GB.title
arangast
Explorer

Hello.

In addition to turning off "Sound Mode Sync" and "Passthrough Mode", also try turning off Bluetooth. It might sound crazy but there's some issue with the remote in bluetooth mode that makes the audio loss worse. It doesn't fix it completely but makes it much more bearable.

Also I rarely need to reboot the TV - just add the Speakers shortcut to the quick settings menu then toggle between TV speakers and receiver, this does the trick most of the time!

Unfortunately the newest firmware has actually made things worse though, so I don't know how well it will work for you. Sony support tell me they are investigating, and someone shared on the bravia reddit a response from Sony Russia which stated they've reproduced the audio drops and are actively working on a fix.

profile.country.RO.title
Doru-Constantin
Explorer

I have XG9505 on android 9 (firmware v6.3626) + new soundbar HT-G700 + HDMI 2.1 cable.

When both tv and soundbar are on default settings I have 3 seconds video lag + another 3 seconds sound lag and random 1 second sound dop.

If I switch EARC off, on tv, there is no 3 sec sound lag, no 1 sec sound drop but this kill atmos on Netflix 😞

If EARC is off both on tv and soundbar, I get random sound off on Netflix, random atmos is shows as 5.1.

I belive that the problem is with tv firmware. Same tv, dif. soundbar > various issue!

profile.country.GB.title
apjoseph

Hi Arangast,

I have the same issue as you, with the same configs: TV: KD65XG9505, Soundbar: HT-ZF9.

This is definitely after the FW update as I did not have this issue before it. My sound drops out on the built-in apps such as Netflix, Disney+... Only way I got around it was via a hard restart.

I called Sony and they advised me that they are aware of this issue and they are working on a fix for their next FW but in the meantime, they have no time frame as to release.

I've now swapped to steaming via XBOX and having tested it for about a week or so, I am having no sound drop issues. I hope this helps in some way.

Arun