Join now - be part of our community!

XE9305 How Do I delete stored videos?

profile.country.GB.title
dagladm
New

XE9305 How Do I delete stored videos?

Hi everyone. I connected my external hard drive to my tv and watched some home movies but I have since deleted many of them off my hard drive yet they still show up a thumbnail  (and still play) on the video menu on the TV as if the files are stored on the tv itself.

I've tried every thing to delete them off the tv but everytime i connect the hard drive up they pop on the tv's video list????

Please help! 

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi dagladm,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I'd recommend clearing the cached data of the Video app by going to settings - Apps - Video - Clear cache and data.

It seems unlikely that the TV would cache a complete movie's worth of data (if not more), so are you sure that the files are no more stored on your HDD? I would also try searching the entire drive using the name of one of the files to see if a copy is hidden somewhere or to back up the data you need and to format the drive and put everything back on it then try it on the TV again.

Cheers,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

yea i had that  problem too so went into system/settings apps and cleared the data for the  video player app.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

seems that clearing the cacheanddata for the video player app doesnt solve it as  i  pluggedthe portable drive in  again to view some hdr  demo videos which i have on it but   it seemed   to  show icons for videos which   i have deleted and are no longer on the drive. so  no idea  where is storing the thumbnails and metadata.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @romipat :slight_smile:

You may have tried clearing the cache of other apps already but....

Have you used a file explorer app at all?

Are you using another app to view the videos with?

Also do you close the apps  properly after using them?

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@jumpsuit wrote:

Hi @romipat :slight_smile:

You may have tried clearing the cache of other apps already but....

Have you used a file explorer app at all?

Are you using another app to view the videos with?

Also do you close the apps  properly after using them?

Hi Jumpsuit I  used the built in video/ media player app it seems to automatically scan any  externally connected storage drive for photos and videos.

i cleared both the  data and cache for that built in app but its still seems to give previews for content  which has been deleted fron that  drive assoon as i connet it and it rescans it, very strange.

i  havent cleaed the cache for other apps as  no other apps were used  I do however clear the global  cache under the system/storage section I  havent sideloaded any apps onto my tv so no no file manager is being used on it. either

Wiz.Au
New

Having the same problem on a A8G OLED. Videos deleted on my shared NAS drive (UPnP?) still show up on my Media Player on the TV. I have emptied recycle bins, searched using a file manager from Windows and Android, used the NAS file manager directly, nada. The files just do not exist. And when you try to play anything, or enter the directory, the TV reports "Unable to play media" but still displays it in the menu! 😞   Arrg!   Of course you can't play it, it's been deleted!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Contents shown by the internal app are sent by the DLNA server of your NAS, you better check if there is any option in it