Join now - be part of our community!

Where's the BT TV App?

profile.country.GB.title
Smig73
New

Where's the BT TV App?

Is the BT TV Android app available for download to a KD-49XE8077 model smart TV. The TV is far more reliable than the crappy Youview boxes when it comes to receiving Freeview and Freeview HD channels so we're going to cancel our BT subscription for TV. Our film and tv purchases will remain available via the app and box but I'd prefer to get rid of the box altogether if at all possible.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Smig73 

By and large, Android apps, designed for tablets and the like, don’t run on Android TVs. Even if you overcome the issue that you are trying to work it from 10 feet away on a TV remote, instead of on a touchscreen In your hand, or the like.

Which is why the Google Play TV Store has so many fewer apps than the Google Play store.

But cancel your BT TV subscription, and you will cancel your access to much of this app anyway, though your film and TV purchases will remain, once you have left your BT TV subscription behind. As long as you take care that you have jumped through BT’s hoops before you leave:-

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/bt-tv-purchases-on-the-app-and-web-player

But if you have an unreliable crappy BT YouView box, then you must have an original slow and limited DRT-T1000 from 2014 or earlier. Which BT will instantly replace on request with a non-crappy reliable T2000 box, or even a T4000 if they are in a good mood.

These later boxes are solid as a rock; if you do have one of these being crappy and unreliable, you aren’t doing it right.

Which I can help with, if you can be specific.

Self-inflicted wounds?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Smig73
New

Cheers for the info. 

The sharp objects were hidden by our lass as soon as she spotted I was talking to BT and we live in a bungalow so I can’t even throw myself down the stairs. 

The box is a DTR-T2100. It’s probably the 4th or 5th box we’ve had over 8 years. 

I’ve managed to set up the BT Web Player on a laptop that’s connected to the TV via hdmi so at least we can definitely watch our purchases on a decent screen. 

Thanks again for the info. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Smig73 

A T2100, eh? And been through 4 or 5 of them? So you are (or have) a serial box eater there.

It is one of the enduring mysteries of YouView that some people can’t keep a box alive for very long; while the vast majority go on for years, and the odd person gets the odd faulty box, a few people seem to need replacement after replacement.

It’s quite rare, but you are by no means alone.

Whether it’s how they are used, or something nasty in the mains current, or underground radon, we don’t know. Internally, YouView jocularly say ‘cosmic rays’, which can certainly do that, but are hardly likely to focus on certain dwelling places.

Do you perhaps live on a ley line? Have poltergeists?  Have other domestic appliances or tech that is similarly short-lived? 😀

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…