Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AG9, VPN & Ethernet connection

profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

Sony AG9, VPN & Ethernet connection

Hi,

I've installed ExpressVPN on the AG9 and can successfully connect to various VPN locations when the TV is connected via wireless.

I can't connect to the VPN though when the TV is connected via ethernet.

With the ethernet connection I select a VPN location, it connects very briefly then drops the internet connection altogether - the only way to re-establish the internet connection is to unplug and plug back in the ethernet cable.

Any idea why it won't connect please?

Note, my PC which is also connected via ethernet connects to the VPN absolutely fine.

I've tried the obvious things like uninstalling/reinstalling and trying different protocols.

Thanks

Nick

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
buyukbang
Explorer

I've exactly same problem with my KD-75XF9005. This problem started after Android 9 update. VPN was working perfectly on Android 7 and 8. Now on Android 9, I've tested Nordvpn app and Openvpn app, both results instablity and disconnections on ethernet connection.

The only way I've found to work around this problem is removing ethernet cable and using WiFi. but unfortunately WiFi was never perfect for me on any Android versions, and it still is not. I'm having random disconnections even without any VPN usage. So I think we need a bugfix for VPN connection with ethernet from Sony side.

profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

Many thanks!

ExpressVPN just came back to me and also confirmed that it is a problem with Android 9 and ethernet.

I haven't had opportunity to test it yet but after trawling forums some people have used a workaround where the VPN can be configured to only apply for certain programs. If this is supported in the VPN software then it apparently bypasses the issue - for example only permission "Prime Video" to pass through the tunnel. I think it might be called split tunnelling in some VPN software.

I'll play around with this later and report back. WiFi also isn't ideal for me - I've got CAT6 ethernet piped around the house and it's far more stable/consistent than WIFI.

Nick

profile.country.GB.title
scratchduffer
New

Finally found someone else!.

I have an older XBR850 that got an update from November.  I am not sure it's android 9 or not as they say it's a UI fix and I thought they weren't posting updates for this model past v8.  In any event, yes I have the same problem with Nord but the split tunneling workaround doesn't work for me.  In fact, expessvpn was even worse.  In Nord i keep getting freezing and the ethernet disconnected error.  Pulling the cable for 5 seconds buys some time.  Wifi seems really slow as well with the VPN, and i think more masks a disconnect that still may be occurring.  

profile.country.GB.title
glebond
Explorer

I've just updated to Android 9 and using a VPN quickly leads to a "ETHERNET IS NOT CONNECTED" message and no internet? WIFI seems to work fine for now. Never once had this issue on any other version!

profile.country.SE.title
kenirO
Explorer

I have a KD-65XE9005 with the same issue with VPN Express after installing latest update 6.7140 with Android 9.0.

Never had this issues before updating, and I have even tried older versions of VPN Express with no luck. 😢

Kinda troublesome to make a VPN connection now with Android 9.0, as I have to restart TV everytime and change connection to ethernet first for knowing I will loose it once VPN tries to connect. TV then switch to Wifi, and it connects to VPN.

Annoying thing is that my TV restarts by itself now too and when my VPN is on with Wifi at that moment, Wifi and ethernet connection becomes unavailable too.

Solution to that is to change in menu to ethernet connection, and restart TV to repeat above procedure.

Now I wonder when Sony can come up with a fix for this.

Shame as I enjoy this TV and never had any issues before, until now. 

profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

It definitely seems to be specifically tied to Android 9 - I presume we'll need to wait for a new Android release to resolve the problem. I doubt Sony can do anything about it or have it in their control.

If your VPN supports it then definitely worth trying the split app tunnelling. That resolved the problem for me.

I set-up ExpressVPN to only include for example PrimeVideo - it's the only app that has it's traffic then directed through the VPN, all other connectivity goes through the usual connection with the internet service provider. For some reason it works around the connectivity bug.

profile.country.GB.title
scratchduffer
New

I think we are stuck since this seems to be an unresolved issue in android 9 from what I see online.  They should have skipped it or left the older TV's on 8.  I have since assigned my ethernet a static IP and it does seem much more stable, oddly enough!

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi guys, I don't know if you know this, but using the VPN on your TV automatically leads to it not to be guaranteed to work as usual, and if it caused faults it might lead to the warranty being voided. Hannah

profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

Seriously? Any idea what the rationale is behind that? There are genuine reasons why people use VPN's - does this also apply to a TV connecting through a router where VPN software is installed on the router?

Presumably Sony control what apps are available to install through the Google Play store - so seems strange they would allow something that could void a warranty.