Join now - be part of our community!

Issues with ARC on KD-55AG8

profile.country.GB.title
RustyTT6
New

Issues with ARC on KD-55AG8

I am running a KD-55AG8 with a Yamaha RX-V675 running 3.1 through Monitor Audios.

When I turn on the television it is sometimes taking a while to turn on, then when it does come on it doesn't seem to correctly tell the Yamaha to turn the sound elements on for processing. I then seem to have to restart the receiver (unplug plug back in) to get it to work.

The receiver only does this when its something coming through AV1 so Netflix or YouTube through the television. The receiver is 100% relaibale on Apple TV or Sky for example.

I have an Audioquest Forest 2m HDMI 4k UHD cable running to the arc on the TV and HDMi output on the amp.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Really not sure whether its the television, my setup or the Yamaha.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@RustyTT6 

Does it sometimes bring the Yamaha on, or never?

You need to ensure that both devices have CEC (BraviaSync) turned on.

My Yamaha YSP-2500 Soundbar can be a bit baulky at turning on when I turn my Samsung TV on, but if I then turn it on manually with the Yamaha remote, it works fine, going to ARC automatically when I do.

And I’m not sure about the reference to AV1; perhaps your Sony TV is different, but Netflix and YouTube are Smart apps on my TV, and don’t come via any external connections on my TV, like my YouView box does.

Though I do notice that if I start the YouView box with the TV on standby, this does start the TV, but the TV rarely then starts the Yamaha.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
RustyTT6
New

Thanks for the reply.

The reference to AV1, is what the receiver switches to when the TV tells it to power on for apps through the TV such as YouTube and Netflix etc.

The strange thing is that it always tells the amp to come on and it does come on but the speakers dont activate.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@RustyTT6 

In the manual for this amp:-

https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/8/329148/RX-V775_RX-V675_om_UCRABGLFH_En.pdf

there is a bit on page 24 that I find slightly incomprehensible, but which might mean something to you:-

• “AV 4” is set as TV audio input at the factory. If you have connected any external device to the AV 4 jacks, use “TV Audio Input” (p.96) in the “Setup” menu to change the TV audio input assignment.

which seems to imply (maybe) that the amp should be switching to AV4, not AV1, to play the TV audio; and that if you have something else plugged into AV4, it will interfere with this.

Do you? Does this make sense? If when the amp comes on, on AV1 with no TV audio, do you get this if you switch to AV4?

And if there is something else plugged into AV4 preventing this, do you get the TV audio when that device is removed?

And even, that with that device removed, or moved to a different HDMI input, maybe the amp will then switch to AV4 and play the TV audio, when the TV is turned on?

Or, as the above suggests, maybe just reassign ‘TV Audio Input’ as per page 96 to whatever input makes this all work?

❑ TV Audio Input
AV 1–6, AUDIO 1–2
AV 4
Sync”.
• To use HDMI control, you need to perform the HDMI Control link setup (p.127) after connecting HDMI Control-compatible devices.
Selects an audio input jack of the unit to be used for TV audio input when “HDMI Control” is set to “On”. The unit’s input source automatically switches to TV audio when the TV input is switched to its built-in tuner.
Settings
• When using ARC to input TV audio to the unit, you cannot use the input jacks selected here for connecting an external device because the input will be used for TV audio input

This last sentence may be key....

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…