Join now - be part of our community!

Connection diagram

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Connection diagram

Just changed my TV after a warranty exchange from A1 to AG9 my old connection set-up isn’t providing 5.1 sound from the Blu-ray player.  The Sony website has differing connection information varying from everything going into the AVR and then using ARC to the TV..... and another Sony page showing the blu-ray directly into the TV.

Does anyone know of a good diagram which shows how to connect up a variety of Sony equipment/

The kit is all Sony:

TV.       AG9

AVR.   STR DN1060

BluRay.  UBP X800

I’m using external r.q speakers, not the TV screen ones.

Any advice gratefully received.  At the moment there’s no 5.1 from the BluRay

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@lgcebr 

There’s no right or wrong way, just a general set of principles you have to follow.

I’m not going to look up your specific kit, as the last time I did that, and saw ARC, it turned out that the device had had a firmware upgrade to eARC, which confounded nearly everything I said.

Principle 1: for the best sound, plug the device into the AVR.

Principle 2: for the best picture, plug the device into the TV.

Principle 3: see what, if any, compromises occur. There may be none.

If the TV has only ARC, principle 1 wins every time.
If the TV has eARC, there may be no compromise on sound at all, connecting to the TV 

If the amp is HDCP 2.2, or higher, compliant there may be no compromise on picture at all connecting to the AVR.

if the source is HD, without HDR, you can probably go via the AVR with no picture compromise anyway.

For a concrete example, my UHD BluRay player, plugged into the TV, can’t pass the highest quality sound a UHD disc is capable of over ARC to my soundbar.

But if I plug the UHD player into the soundbar, that can’t pass HDR to the TV, as the soundbar is only HDCP 2.1

And if the UHD player had only one HDMI out, I would be forced to choose which was more important to me, picture or sound?

Though fortunately, it has two HDMI outs, so I can send picture direct to TV, and audio direct to soundbar.

But you can perhaps see from the above why a single connection diagram, or even a couple of alternatives, can’t possibly cover all the eventualities with all the different kit of different specs you might have, and you need to figure out your best options from the principles above.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Thanks for your explanation.  Now I know what I’m doing!  Much appreciated