Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting a sound bar and using tv remote for volume

marc.knuckle
Explorer

Connecting a sound bar and using tv remote for volume

Hi guys. 

A few weeks ago i bought a Sony 49x8305c android tv.  Brilliant it is. 

The tv came with a free sound bar that i collected yesterday, a Sony ht-ct80 which I'm told is at the lower end but is still better than the standard tv speakers which i agree with. 

However it needs to have its volume controlled with a separate remote which is annoying. 

I'm using the optical lead. 

If i use the headphone jack so i can then control it with the tv remote,  there is an annoying buzz unless i turn the sound bar volume almost to the lowest level and then it means i have to increase the tv volume ridiculously high. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks, marc 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
samtab2015
Explorer

use hdmi leed from your soundbar to arc connector on yor tv.

marc.knuckle
Explorer

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

There isn't a hdmi connector on it, only optical and analogue

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Correct, unfortunatley this model soundbar is designed to connect to the TV via optical cable.  Unfortunatley it is the HDMI-CEC fuctions that enable a single remote control solution.  Only other option is some type of universal remote control, such as the Harmony range of remotes.

Cheers

marc.knuckle
Explorer

Thanks. 

It is strange that being both sony products there isn't some sort of sync. Or maybe a way the sound bar can be controlled with the tv remote by maybe it using the same IR signals. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sony does do products that sync nicely with the TV using the HDMI ports, however it seems that some retailers are offering freebies that dont quite match - I guess this is to attract sales as cheaply as possible.  The soundbar you have, does the job - its just that there are products that does it better.

jbriggsrn
New

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FGrpoiK9EY

check this - you have to play with volumes to get rid of buzz