Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

I have got a 49XD8099 and recently updated (via USB) to the latest Android 6.0.1 version, v6.1004 (March 15 2017 release). I don't know if it has to do with the fact that after updating I could find out why I couldn't connect to the WiFi, and configured the tv to use WiFi accordingly, but since then I keep having the tv restarting Android randomly once or twice per day with the television in stand-by.

I first could notice it because after a reboot it goes to the HDMI 4 (since I don't have an antenna I have set it up that way to avoid turning on the PS4), and then checking with the side-loaded CPU-Z I can see the uptime. Now it just restarted in front of my eyes.

Again, the only difference is that I am now using WiFi. I'll try going back to wired and see if it happens again, still I am getting quite tired of this kind of issues. Anyone else getting the same problem?

109 REPLIES 109
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:
Can you explain that? You started Opera and then the system crashed? Why would you actually start Opera on the TV? Opera on the TV in my opinion is bloatware. Sony probably needs it to display help pages?

Well, why not use it? It's there. For once that's what we must use to check the internet bandwidth. Unless there are some (reliable) apps I don't know about. Then, if I do a search via voice command, the option to also look at the results on the web doesn't hurt. Or if my mobile is charging just to check a couple of things I'd rather do it from the television.

Sure it's an ugly web browser. But I tested a couple of others and they weren't exactly better. Again, unless there is some other new web browser I don't know about. If you have any suggestion.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I still believe that a browser does not belong on a TV, at least a traditional one. Isn't there an Android TV app for Netflix's Fast.com?

I imagine a voice assistant which can indeed pull web information. I think Google's Assistant is capable of doing so without an Opera (but it will of course need some kind of a browser engine, most probably some Chromium). I am very curious about Assistant on Sony TV. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

My view on how the TV experience should be like is just so much different...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Sure, there is the Chromecast app for fast.com. And I use it. But (again) if my phone is charging I like to use the web browser. Also I have got very different results from fast.com and speedtest.net beta (and the latter can be used only via web) and I like to check both. Especially when I had the WiFi bug dropping bandwidth.

Then it depends. If these tvs were working as they were supposed to (which also means.. FAST!) I could use the tv web browser to check few things about a game with the PS4 game in PiP. I mean, I did it once, just guess what happened... Also a web browser for tv is useful for streaming. Some people use it as such.

Regarding Google Assistant, in 7.0 when you look for something (via voice or else) we get a list of sections (depending on the app) with some results. Then, at the end, there is the option to click on Opera and that takes us to a google seacrh of that query. I mean, nothing fancy but it does the job.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Jecht_Sin schrieb:

Sure, there is the Chromecast app for fast.com. And I use it. But (again) if my phone is charging I like to use the web browser. Also I have got very different results from fast.com and speedtest.net beta (and the latter can be used only via web) and I like to check both. Especially when I had the WiFi bug dropping bandwidth.

Then it depends. If these tvs were working as they were supposed to (which also means.. FAST!) I could use the tv web browser to check few things about a game with the PS4 game in PiP. I mean, I did it once, just guess what happened... Also a web browser for tv is useful for streaming. Some people use it as such.

You can for sure do all kinds of fancy and geeky stuff with a browser. But that's simply not how I imagine the TV experience to be. Content for TV should be prepared in a usable way, via a native or webview app adapted for the TV controls or via Chromecast for example. If you have to go through a browser it is just inherently wrong.

Jecht_Sin schrieb:

Regarding Google Assistant, in 7.0 when you look for something (via voice or else) we get a list of sections (depending on the app) with some results. Then, at the end, there is the option to click on Opera and that takes us to a google seacrh of that query. I mean, nothing fancy but it does the job.

Sony Nougat firmware still does not have Assistant. It is a not very smart and not very functional Google Now.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Sorry, I am not going to paste all of that.. :slight_smile:

But briefly.. I do believe many would be upset if a tv comes without a web browser. I think I'd be one of them. I may not use it often, but whn I need to I want it to be there. That doesn't mean that we can't have both a web browser and an app using webview. I'd say the main issue is that not too many apps are available at the moment. Also let's not forget that adding too many apps in Android can make the system very heavy.

Then yes, i confused Google Assistant with Google now. I think to remember you still are on 6.0.1, so I imagined that's what you were asking. Sorrrrry! :smile:

Hopefully Android O will improve things quite a bit. And hopefully we will all get the update. because Android TV 7.0 to me is still half backed, a bit like Gingerbread for mobile at the time (well, that was actually awful. Ugly to the bones). 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I haven't had the random reboots for quite some time... until yesterday. Thought firmware 3.885 fixed it. Again had 2 reboots since yesterday though. I really have no clue what triggers it. Seems totally random.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I can confirm instead that the reboots while in standby totally disappeared in Android 7.0.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

They will come back also for you, trust me.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

They will come back also for you, trust me.

Hahaha. You told me the same previously. Now it has been few weeks after the upgrade to 7.0, and I have never (ever) got a reboot in standby (I've got other kind of reboots, though. But very sporadic. Well, VPN bug apart). Come on, even Mediatek/Sony can do something right for once! :smile:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I also haven't had it for weeks now. Just started again yesterday for me.