Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Jimmybrick wrote:

got this email today.

Dear Mr 
Thank you for your recent email.
In regards to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-49XE9005, we would like to apologise for this inconvenience, however this is new technology that was not announced during the time that your TV was manufactured and sold. Your TV is 4K UHD and HDR ready and you can experience this via numerous applications such as Netflix or Amazon 4k Streaming, as well as through a 4K Blu-ray player.
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.
Thank you for your enquiry.
Yours sincerely,
Nadine

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en.

So like it or lump it basically

Have the engineers already given up? :grin: :grin: :grin:

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

i do love the line about this technology wasnt announced when you're tv was made. 

On October 26, 2015, Sony showed HLG video on a modified HDR display at the SMPTE 2015 conference

really sony, you knew nothing about HLG until this year i guess. inept is all i can think of. 

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

I wasn't joking about a class litigation. Many who bought the TV was told that the TV was up 2 date, and that it would support all technologies related to 4K and HDR. I was also told that buying KD80 was "safe", since it did or would support all HDR technologies that BBC and others would use in the future.

Those who has received wrong information from customer service or from ads should not give up. Stick together. I don't think it would go to trial. Sony could pay us off or launch a buyback program.

With that being said, did anyone look at the Reddit thread? It is perhaps possible to build a iPlayer APK with a fake version identifier. It could solve our problems. I also got the Mi Box which I think is faster. Perhaps HDR doesn't work on it, but 4k could work..? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/8rl0di/how_to_get_fox_sports_world_cup_4k_apk_working_on...

profile.country.GB.title
terryos16
Explorer

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can explain why only a few weeks ago (when the BBC iPlayer announcement was made), I was able to access the UHD clip via the built in iPlayer app, but now the World Cup is here it seems support has been dropped - model KD43XE8004, which is 2017 model and yes I have up to date firmware.

Thanks

Terry

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

"Hi, Just wondering if anyone can explain why only a few weeks ago (when the BBC iPlayer announcement was made), I was able to access the UHD clip via the built in iPlayer app, but now the World Cup is here it seems support has been dropped - model KD43XE8004, which is 2017 model and yes I have up to date firmware."

Hi, this entire thread is about this - basically the type of encoding used by the BBC for their World Cup trials together with the data rate used is too much for what's supported currently.  It's being investigated by Sony and BBC.  That's it I'm afraid...

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

"Really sony, you knew nothing about HLG until this year i guess. inept is all i can think of. "

And, yet again, this wouldn't have been using the latest encoding system that didn't exist in those days, and I bet that the demo was at 25fps and maybe not 4k.

"I wasn't joking about a class litigation. Many who bought the TV was told that the TV was up 2 date, and that it would support all technologies related to 4K and HDR. I was also told that buying KD80 was "safe", since it did or would support all HDR technologies that BBC and others would use in the future."

If you believed that any company would promise that something would always support everything in future, then...  be realistic here.  No company would ever guarantee that.  The TV was up to date when it came out; they don't have crystal balls and couldn't have foreseen that the BBC would use this particular combination of data rate, 4k, HDR and encoding type.  You don't take out a class action against phone manufacturers when someone invents a new game that isn't supported on their screens?

Let us know how that works out for you...

profile.country.GB.title
Fontmeister

The PS4 iPlayer app has been updated to support 4K in version 2.0, whilst it's not HLG/HDR it's better than what I'm getting from my XE93. As soon as you load the iPlayer app it will mention UHD and the live channel will show BBC UHD. At least this way anybody with a PS4 and 4KTV regardless of brand can watch it the World Cup in 4K.

I've given up on my TV with iPlayer and 4K HDR even though it's updated with the latest firmware.

profile.country.GB.title
Prior20

what sony told me i was buying

what i got

paulpdw8
Explorer

Ive got the Hisense app working on a 4K HDR android box and have managed to stream but the VPNs ive tried have been nowhere near fast enough so its was struggling to get 1080P. I will try a few more VPNs over the next few days.

Here to hoping some clever person can come up with a fix for the iplayer next.

profile.country.GB.title
redoxide
Explorer

I bit the bullet and purchased a Roku 4k stick for my 65XE9005 and i have to say it worked flawlessly. Was very impressed with the picture quality whilst watching the England game tonight and the stream didn't drop out at all so it would appear my wifi connection was more than up to handling the data. I must admit it irked me to have to go out and buy it, as i am to say at the very least dissapointed to discover that my recently purchased tv is already (it would appear) out of date. For me at least it's not just a spend to be able to watch the world cup as i subscribe to NOW TV and it has provided a much neater solution to the Now tv box i currently use and gives a brighter cleaner picture than the box as well.

But if anyone is considering buying a Roku 4k stick to watch the World Cup HDR stream i can confirm it does the job admirably.