Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV reading USB drive for on hour

profile.country.CZ.title
Stil007
Explorer

Android TV reading USB drive for on hour

TV Sony Bravia KD-43XG8096 Android 8.0 Oreo 

When I connect 1TB WD myPassport HDD via USB 3.0... with approx. 500MB data on it - pictures, videos, movies, music... and select for VIDEO on the TV-menu after connecting the USB-HDD. 

Then TV starts to read the entire HDD and it takes 1 hour of time. TV is blocked with test "reading data from storage unit, once done you will see videos on this place". 

First 45 minutes it reads only folders and file names, last 15 minutes it reads all the movies and videos one by one. 

This is too long time as if I have 20 movies on the HDD and about 100 family-videos.. I want to see just 1 movie or few videos.. but I have to wait 1 hour to let TV read entire HDD. 

Any suggestion please??

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Video works like this. It has the best performance when playing back a movie but it is not that user-friendly. Me I use it only via network access using DLNA (and by the way I prefer using a netork drive than attaching and detaching a drive to the tv) or another player such as Nova Player (that can use also SMB via network and has a far better interface).

If you let the app scan all your drive in any case it shouldn't do the same next time you connect it.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Yeah..... first indexation can take forever. Just let it finish and then it will be better. Until that video app get bonkers and you will need to clear the data and start all over.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@kinggo01  schrieb:

Yeah..... first indexation can take forever. Just let it finish and then it will be better. Until that video app get bonkers and you will need to clear the data and start all over.

Where does the video app store its index? I am asking because it might not work for exFAT for which a new path is generated on each reboot, see respective issue.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

dunno where it is. And also, didn't use FAT for ages so...... On W75C was using NTFS drives and now on XG95 I use NFS shares.

but look under Android/data/com.sony.dtv.smartmediaapp....... that picnic file seems like a list that points to a files and thumbnails.